.300 Win Mag to .30 Nosler

Overkill338

Back when I wrote this https://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.php?t=53635 about a wildcat 30-375 Ruger, I was trying to work it so all I would need is a chamber reamer to make the conversion. Seemed easy enough (if you say it real fast).

So let's say I want to make my M77 into a .30 Nosler. Does the barrel have to be removed, or can a Smith just take the bolt out and change the chamber?

Another question; The .300 Norma Mag (not to be confused with the .308 Norma), isn't it essentially a .338 Lapua shortened (and necked)to fit a standard long action ?

I'd like to put together a rifle to be able to go to Roanoke, VA and do the Egg shoot. A chicken egg at 500 yards, and you qualify for the egg shoot by hitting a .68 paintball at 200 yards. Flatter trajectory would make things easier I assume.

Any thoughts on this? Hunting for me might hit 400 if I get into an orchard, so I know the .300 Win Mag is plenty to do that twice over on these small deer. But getting at things as small as a paintball and an egg, that's a whole different animal. Is 18 power enough zoom, or would you need 25 or more?

Thanks fellas!

How does the barrel shoot now? I can't see it becoming more accurate with a change to another cartridge?

16-18x kind of depends on the conditions at the time, but generally I'd say yes. Actual reticle size an issue, I'd prefer something like the TMOA that is open in the center, but others will work.

How does the barrel shoot now? I can't see it becoming more accurate with a change to another cartridge?

16-18x kind of depends on the conditions at the time, but generally I'd say yes. Actual reticle size an issue, I'd prefer something like the TMOA that is open in the center, but others will work.
I was just using it as an example. Thinking if I do a conversion, I'd use a Savage for easy headspace.

So let's say I want to make my M77 into a .30 Nosler. Does the barrel have to be removed, or can a Smith just take the bolt out and change the chamber?

The barrel has to be removed from the action, placed in the lathe and indicated in before any proper machine work such as cutting a new chamber can be accomplished. Personally, I don't waste much time trying cut a different chamber in a factory Ruger barrel. Spend your money on a new, top quality barrel and don't be cheap. Buy the best, get the best and the Ruger factory barrel is nowhere near.

Another question; The .300 Norma Mag (not to be confused with the .308 Norma), isn't it essentially a .338 Lapua shortened (and necked)to fit a standard long action ?

Nope. Different in all aspects.

I'd like to put together a rifle to be able to go to Roanoke, VA and do the Egg shoot. A chicken egg at 500 yards, and you qualify for the egg shoot by hitting a .68 paintball at 200 yards. Flatter trajectory would make things easier I assume.

Shooting the egg shoot is more about consistent accuracy and your cold bore shot unless they allow sight in shots first. Again, personally, I'd run something a 6mm Dasher, a 6-6.5x47 Lapua or a 6.5x47 Lapua. This type of shooting is not necessarily about horsepower but excellent accuracy, consistently. Included in discussions such as this, the idea of it being the Indian and not the arrow...:D

Anything that involves targets at 500 yards and out, I use a 22x to 25x scope. But be aware that increased magnification of the target also magnifies the movements of the shooter.

Have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.