It is going to be a 257 weatherby again. It is my only quarter bore so I decided to keep it quarter bore. It almost became a 264 win mag, but I already have a 6.5x55.

The new barrel is going to be a 26" Oregon Mountain rifles carbon wrapped howa/vanguard prefit barrel.

Update with my Weatherby Meateater 300 WBY. I have tried the Hornady 178 ELDX and 165 GMX bullets with poor results in terms of accuracy. I've tried them with RL, 19,22,17 and 23 and H4831SC. Only the H4831 came within a 2" group with the rest being scattered all over the paper. So yesterday I returned to the basics with my 180 Barnes TSX loaded with 81gr of H4831SC and bingo back to sub MOA shooting which the Weatherby should do. I also started to work up loads with RL 23 @ 75gr which also was sub MOA . I have also tried the above load, 200 LRX with RL 17 it also maintains a sub MOA performance. For what ever reason my new rifle seems to thrive on the Barnes Bullets. I enjoy Moose and Caribou hunting here in Alaska and Barnes Bullets have provided me with the best results for both my 300WBY and 375HH hunting rifles. My Hunting partner has had great results with his 300 WBY and 200gr Nosler Partition with 7828 powder. Happy hunting and shooting to all. PS hope we start to see ammo available soon.

7828ssc under a 180 barnes has been my go to for my 300 Wby vanguard. I have loaded other combos but never found anything better.

Every time there's "new thing" for the .300 WBY Mag I give it a whirl because that's what I do. After fifty years with my German built .300 Wby Mark V, I have made one change that stuck...I now use 180 gr Barnes TTSX (used to use 180 gr Hornady BTSP) over 79 grs of IMR-4831, Fed 215 primers and Wby Brass. I've tried every powder and bullet in the book every now and again and still go back to my old school load I worked up when I was 17 and it was 1973:)--except for the BTTSX bullet! I get 3208 fps out of that load and about .7 MOA. Bagged an Eland and Kudu with it in 2019 in South Africa.

Dad used to shoot 180 gr Hornady bullets over a stiff dose of imr 4831. Killed truckloads and I mean dump truck loads of deer

Thanks Horse for the reply, can you give us your load details, IE # of grains, primer and cases. Thanks
180 gr Barnes TSX ,79.2 grains IMR 7828ssc, Win Mag primer and Weatherby brass. 2950 FPS. Loaded at magazine length. I don't use this rifle as often anymore but if I remember correctly it shot better groups after a few fouling shots. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
I have a Cooper Model 52 Jackson Hunter chambered in a 300 Weatherby Mag. Absolute tack driver. I'm shooting 180 grain Accubonds with a CCI mag primer and 82.5 grains of IMR 7828 all in a Weatherby case, moving a little over 3050.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.