300 Weatherby Published Loads

jreagle

Hello, this is my first post here after many months of gathering information and getting a feel for the community. So far am enjoying the experience!

Having not been reloading or shooting much in the last ~12-15 years and now getting back into it, Ive noticed that in looking at several loading manuals and the various editions, new and older, comparing loads from the same mfgrs editions; there seems to be up to a 5 grain difference between the published starting loads and max loads for a 300 wby bullet. with almost any powder. For this example say a 180 gr bullet in front of imr4350, imr7828 or RL22.

i was wondering if there is a reason for the discrepancy (later editions with a reduction in powder volumes) in the data published for weatherby over the years?

the reason the question becomes more glaring is that in comparing the same manuals, a 30-06 load (say 180 gr w/ imr 4350), is shown within less than a grain difference powder charge (min and max) comparing between the older edition and the newer edition reloading manual while weatherby 300 is nearly and in some cases 5 gr difference.

this seems perplexing to me. any insight here is most appreciated.

John

Liability, With so many custom chambers out there for weatherby cartridges that do not have the wby freebore most manuals cut the charges quite a bit now to compensate. I have been loading for the 300 wby mk5 for nearly 40 years if you need some loads for that rifle. If you have a custom chamber you just have to reduce by 7 1/2% and go from there.

Barnes ttsx bullets are excellent choice for the mk5 rifles since they like a jump into the rifling and are not critical to seating depth. Flat base lead core bullets are usually the most accurate in them if you shoot lead core. That does not mean boat tail vld bullets can not be accurate as I have loads with most of mine that do very well with high bc bullets.

Thank you for your replies.

i felt that the current manuals didnt represent my rifle very well; couldnt get near the published velocities with the charge weight that is listed..... actually concerned about using too little powder.
Too bad the component companies didnt keep 2 sets of books; 1 for factory and 1 for custom...... guess i will hang on to the older editions for now.

Cheers
John

I just finished working up this load for my 300 WBY 87.5 gr H1000 200 gr N ACC ~ 3030 fps from a 24" barrel M.O.A .445 a factory Vanguard.

Yes a 200 gr Nolser Accubond the COL was the published COL. I am very please with this load.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.