300 ultra case damage

300ultramag

I am wondering if anyone would know what happened.I fired
a round with 86 grains of Retumbo,200 Accubond,Fed215m primer COL at 3.595" Fired like any other round except that
when i removed the case there was a 1/16 dia hole just below the shoulder.I have never used this powder before and I did not fire anymore until i find out what happened. The brass i used was shot maybe 3 times prev. with different loads. Suggestions??

My guess would be a bad case. Just chunk it and go on. I'm shooting 85 gr Retumbo under a 240 SMK so I don't think your over pressure.

Agree with Bill Bailey, I'm using 92 grains of Retumbo with Berger 210 gr. bullet. MV = 3025 ft/s.

I also agree with Bill as I'm using 85grs of Retumbo with the 240 SMK too, 2855 fps out of a 29" Lilja.
Wayne aka WAMBO

[ QUOTE ]
I also agree with Bill as I'm using 85grs of Retumbo with the 240 SMK too, 2855 fps out of a 29" Lilja.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds exactly like my setup!! I believe my bbl is just a smidge shy of 30" though. Getting the same velocity.

That load sounds like its a little on the lighter side. 85 grains under a 240 is a lot different than 86 with a 200 acc. 86 with the 200 should be on the bottom end. My thought is under pressure. I've had a 7rum and a 300 rum, sometimes with light loads they would dent right on the edge of the shoulder. Never had a hole though. The gases pass down the side of the neck before it seals the chamber.

The reason for the 86 is the loads on the internet i seen started at 89.5 thought i would work up to. I dont have the Reloading manual for that powder. I guess i will try the other rounds and see what happens....

Yeah, you're about 10 grains under max which isn't a good idea with such a slow powder. If you want a reduced load for some reason (less recoil, etc) use a faster powder like H1000. Otherwise add about 5 grains to your load at a minimum and work up from there.

Had the same problem with my 300 RUM. Problem solved by adding more powder. You could also increase the neck tension, seat the bullet deaper maybe use a hotter primer. But first choice is more powder.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.