300 savage ?

jahollis

I have a 300 savage in a savage 99, fixing to start reloading for. The 150 gr pointed cor-loks dont group worth a crap unless im firmly holding the gun in the rest. However the round nose 180 gr round nose groups great without any holding in the rest. I love the cor-lok bullets, but i dont like the ballistics of the bullets. Im wondering if a ballistic tip in the 125 or 150 gr would work? or the 150 round nose Ct ballistic tip would improve the ballistics some? I know im not working with a magnum cartridge but i was hoping for about a +/- 3" for hopefully 250 yards. Am i asking to much? would the spire points cause feeding problems in the rotary magazine? Any suggestions or load advice? Bullet suggestions? What bullets expand good at 2000-1900 fps velocities? Should i use bullets made for the 30-30?

Try between 43 and 44 grs IMR 4895 with 125 Nosler ballistic tip and 42 and 43 grs IMR 4895 with 150 gr Sierra or Nosler BT. I really love the 125 BT for deer. It is a stone cold in their tracks killer and it is very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts