300 rum

geauxtigers

Just seeing if anyone out there has a pet load using the 190 bergers in 300 RUM. Shooting retumbo now but not getting quite the accuracy that i would expect at 200 yards.

Taylor

Well not sure what i expect but went to shoot tosay and got 2 shots touching and then 1 shot right above. Did not measure but could have covered with a quarter but after that it all went downhill. Could have been from the barrel getting dirty. Just did not seem to good. I am looking for close to one hole groups at 200.

Taylor

190 grain bullet in a 300rum? why not use the 210grain VLD?

Retumbo and H1000 seems to be the powders of choice. My 300rum will be delivered this week. I've done quite a bit of reading on load data and the conventional wisdom seems to be 94 grains of H1000 with the 210VLD.

Just another option I couldn't get H-1000 to perform in my 300 RUM as good as Retumbo . My best 3 shot group well my only 3 shot group at 333 yards measured .619 with retumbo . 210 Berger

Are you annealing it made a big difference when I started streching it out a ways . I also try to weight sort my brass .

Federal 215 M primers work well in my rifle . Just giving you some ideahs .

BigBuck

These are my results, I am shooting a sendero 300RUM and tried many different bullets and powder.
I decided on the 210gr Bergers
Bergers max loads with retumbo are 92gr @ 3035fps and their max load with H1000 is 91.6gr @ 3038
with retumbo at 92gr I was getting between 2979-3033 fps
With H1000 at 92gr I was getting 3011-3031fps
I have went up as high as 96gr retumbo with no high pressure signs and was getting 3120-3156fps
and with H1000 I went up as high as 94gr at 3093-3128fps.
I have also used RE22, RE25 and IMR7828SSC and tried Ramshot magnum and it, the ramshot magnum was the worst for high pressure and low velocities. I am going to stick with Retumbo, mainly because I have like 9lbs of it. Oh and I did also try hogdon US869-very temp sensitive, not impressed.

Thanks everyone for your help. It sounds like I need to swith to the 210 grainers. I am going to hunt with this bullet so the extra weight would be great. Once again I truly appreciate everyones help.

Taylor

I have heard lots of great things about bergers, but in all honesty you should shoot what your gun likes best. Some people don't like the fact that bergers shoot better if they are close to the lands, there are not many bullets out there with that high of BC, yes there are some with a higher BC. But by far have heard more about the bergers then others. Just look at the size bullet that was used to kill the spyder bull, a 168gr barnes bullet. Then you could also ask yourself why are you using such a big gun when the guys at best of the west are either using a 6.5x284 or a 7mm mag and look at all the animals they are killing. Ok I guess now is where you break into the Tim Allen tool time grunt, more power more speed bigger bullet.

I shoot a Sendero in 300 rum and have set up many others for friends. 215m, RE 25 96.0 and 180 Accubonds. Roughly 3250 fps and great performance and accuracy. Plus you have a very durable bullet. I have not gotten as good of results with Bergers in my standard Sendero barrel. I will definitely get better performance with a slightly faster twist Krieger barrel I have for it. Very tight groups at very long distances with the above referenced load.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.