300 rum to 338 rum

I've seen zero difference to 50fps between an rum and edge in an average build, if you go single shot and throat the edge out over 4.0 inches then you can start getting more out of it.

Ok thanks for the info I am looking for this kind of response to see if it is worth it for the slight gain. I may buy a new broughton barrel down the road then I definitely would do it. I would like a 28-30 barrel WO brake for the slight gain in velocity. What's your opinion on the make and contour for the lightest most accurate hunting barrel?

What's your opinion on the make and contour for the lightest most accurate hunting barrel?

IMO a carbon wrapped blank would fit this description perfectly. Of course, it's not the least expensive option, but it's about the only way to get that amount of stiffness for the weight. Otherwise, I wouldn't go with anything lighter than a #5 for a .338 from any one of several reputable barrel manufacturers.

I am adding a link of an earlier thread on the subject of 338 RUM vs 338 Edge.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/338-rum-vs-338-edge-68625/

You are looking at least 600 dollars to make an edge with dies/reamer/gunsmithing etc vs buying some brass. The edge will yield little gain and might add some magazine issues or you will have a single shot for your troubles. IMO not worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.