300 RUM problem

walterdouglas

i am new to the site so i would at least like to say hi to all of you. i do have a problw though. i bought me a remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 RUM last year and i am shooting ballistic tip bullets. i noticed after the first shot fired out of it with a full mag well the tips of the bullets are either broken off or dinted pretty good. this is wil factory ammo and with reloads. i use the factory stuff to just sight it in. after that it is handloads. all loads are the same COAL though (3.600") which is a factory length. any ideas you all have to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. i have a browning medallian in the same caliber and it does not do this and my brother in laws remington CDL doesnt either.

There is no fix for that. Recoil of the big boys is responsible.

May add a muzzle break but it will only lessen the problem and that is a maybe.

try SST's, but be ready for EXTREME wounds. i use the 168VLD and have good luck, just load to max length for mag.

thanks for the help. i thought that there was not really anything that i could do to fix the problem but i thought i would ask. i have tryed the SST bullet before and they are a good bullet but found that i like the Swift Scirrocco II better. am going to try the Berger Hunting VLD's soon though. going to try them out with my 243 first and see if i am going to like them. gun)

As mentioned, the recoil is what is causing your tips to smack the forward end of the magazine and breaking the tips. My 300 did very well with the 180 Sciroccos using all 3 powders: H1000, Retumbo, Re25

thats what i load in mine. 180 gr scirrocco with 98.0grs of retumbo pushing it. love the load. if my math is right. i am pushing just alittle over factory power level 3 muzzle velocity.

you need to take these ideas with a grain of salt. I have had similar problems on larger rifles. on lead tip bullets I trim the meplat. the problem is generally associated not so much because of recoil, but because of not enough taper in the mag or box allowing the bullet tip to hit the front of the box. 1 shade tree remedy is to solder small protrusions inside the box in front of the body shoulder that wont allow the rifle to hit the bullet. you will need to reduce c.o.l. slightly to get proper feed. or my favorite is to use a bullet with a cannalure that has a strong tip and crimp the doggys out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts