300 rum load

Tgarrels

Looking for a starting point, any advice would be appriciated. New sendero 300 rum, 230 bergers, currently using 90 gr retumbo, no signs of excessive pressure, Played with seating depth (COAL 3.910) still not satisfied with results, any suggestions? What are the thoughts with RE 33? Just starting, looking to save time if any one can help. Thx

Last edited:
Looking for a starting point, any advice would be appriciated. New sendero 300 rum, 230 bergers, currently using 90 gr retumbo, no signs of excessive pressure, Played with seating depth (COAL 3.910) still not satisfied with results, any suggestions? What are the thoughts with RE 33? Just starting, looking to save time if any one can help. Thx

I think that rl33 is a good idea. Should be able to get better load density. With the big bullet you want to go slow. Are you using a chronograph? It helps a lot when in uncharted territory.

What was unsatisfactory about your Retumbo load? As a general rule I have done better with h1000 than Retumbo for the same combo. Retumbo will give better vel sometimes but h1000 usually has been better.

Steve

Thx, currently at 2960 muzzle, just looking for a little tighter group possibly more velocity being no signs of excessive pressure, loads came with rifle I have not purchased powder yet just wondering if I should continue with retumbo or make the switch to something else, and if so with RL33 where to start.

Thx, currently at 2960 muzzle, just looking for a little tighter group possibly more velocity being no signs of excessive pressure, loads came with rifle I have not purchased powder yet just wondering if I should continue with retumbo or make the switch to something else, and if so with RL33 where to start.

Alliant shows a load for 300 Weatherby at 89g with 220g bullet. You might just give them a call and I bet they would be happy to give you a start load.

Steve

I use 95g With RL33 and a 230OTM in my 300RUM at close to 4". Reduce 5% at least.

From what I have seen for some reason it doesn't really show the pressure signs quite like it should so, be aware if speeds are reasonable... pressure is in the neighborhood. This is one place where I think having a pressure trace would be good a good deal(some people are over 100g). http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/uncharted-territory-133411/index2.html

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.