300 RUM Click Bang

rhouser

I wanted to see if I could use a BR-2 Primer in my RUM with Retumbo. I loaded 5 200 gr SMK's with 91.5 gr of Retumbo and 5 175 gr SMK's with 91.5 gr of Retumbo.

All the 200's fired successfully, but, the last 2 175's definitely hung to the point where I heard/felt the firing pin strike as separate from the bang.

My observation: even at 80 degrees, the BR-2 is NOT going to be reliable with Retumbo in my rifle.

I am not short of Mag Primers. I was just looking to lower my ES/SD.

From reading the posts here, the 215's are the bread and butter for most for the RUM loaders. I have a couple of K of the Win LR MAG primers. Anybody using the Winchester's?

thanks to all for a great forum.

rch

If you can find some Tula LRM primers and your charge is accurately weighed, this should give you lower es/sd.

I don't bother with standard primers in bigger cases. There is a reason magnum primers exist... Plus, I sometimes hunt in weather that would make your freezer feel like a hot tub.... I usually use mag primers down to '06 sized cases for that stuff... As the last poster stated, try another mag. primer... I don't know Tula, but any of the bigger U.S, makers make a decent mag. primer. The cci 250 is sootier, but it goes bang well for me in a couple of cartridges...

I have a 338 Edge, I test identical loads with both 215's and WLRM, there is always a preference of one over the other. In my Pressure Trace tests, WLRM (old stock) appear hotter than recent stocks of 215's, this may switch when I can get my hands on some Winchester primers.
Have also used CCI and Remington, but results weren't as linear as the above 2 brands.

It is my belief that once powder charges exceed 90gr a magnum primer will give linear results, under this weight and it varies with unpredictable tracking, especially with lower than 90% load densities, compressed loads track quite well, even when loads of less than 60gr are used in certain cartridges.

Cheers.
gun)

There must be a virus of hang fires going around. The last couple times I went to the range I had them with Fed 215 Mag, CCI 250 Mag, Rem 9 1/2 Mag, and WLRM primers. I decided to switch from US869 to IMR7828 until I can get the RL33 I ordered.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.