300 rum basic loading question

Yes the 300 WSM is going to give you longer barrel life, I had heard from a gunsmith that the 7RUM has a shorter barrel life then the 300RUM.

I was going to build a 7stw, or 300 win, but am setting my sights on a 300 rum now, because a friend who has been loading for quite a few years, has told me that he can work up 2 loads, one for long range, hard hitting, flat trajectory for killing Elk out to about 600yds, and one tamed down for my bush hunting that will shoulder bite me like a 300win. Which will be 75% of my hunting, but both can and will happen in the same day at times, when we hunt out to our tree stands which gives us clear views from very low yardages, out to over 700yds.

My question,,, is the 2 load idea a reasonable idea?

Poking fun at my vast knowledge is OK too. I have a tough chin.

I zero most of my flat shooters at 300 yards including the 300 RUM. This would work out well with reduced loads and the right bullet combo for shorter range shooting as you have suggested. Go for it!.....Rich

I have a .300 WSM that I have multiple loads for and it works just fine for me. As long as you know what their difference in point of impact is, you can bounce back and forth at will. A 168 TSX at 3200 fps is a great elk and long range prong horn load while the same bullet at 2750 is just what the doctor ordered for white tail and mulies.

As for my next rifle, it will be a .338 RUM which I will develope more than one load for.

I think I will go with a 300 wsm, a little less zip but a little less kick as well. I also did some reading, and think it's a very accurate caliber. Out to
600yds max I think it will take care of anything I will shoot, once I am capable of shooting that far. I will end up with a couple of loads, and I can get ammo anywhere around here if I forget mine at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.