300 RUM Advice.....

Tested some Rum loads this morning. 200 gr Federal TLR, and Berger 200 grain hybrid target. Retumbo average with both was 3220 FPS. Pretty much 3/4 in groups at 100 yards. 1/2 in groups with 91 grains of H1000. 3170 FPS average off my Lab Radar. Best group was 89.7 RL 25 with the 200 HT. Pretty much 1 hole cloverleaf. Velocity was lacking at 3040 FPS ave. Going to try to go higher. 3.670 was OACL for all loads. The TLR is really close to the same G1 Ballistic Coefficient as the Berger Hybrid Target. 7828 SC was running close velocity wise to H1000, just a tiny larger group. Remington XCR 26 inch with a brake. I have some 215 HT Berger's on order, so more fun coming.

So no one has mentioned this yet. So here is a couple of 2 cents. First off if you are going for speed and start pushing the brass (Remington brass or any I would think) at about 6 or 7 loads you can have a case rupture. I know. Its happen. Not bad and nothing wrong with my rifle but a small smoked cracked developed with some hard ejection and bolt lift at the shooting range. Be careful how many times you reload your cases. This was also mostly full length resizing.

Second. The Hornady 220 will shoot really good but it has a lot of bearing surface so you cant push it as hard. I was at the max book (red) pressure mark for hornadys reload data for RL26. Had great results but the primer pockets were gone with 4 firings on the brass. Also they shot great at 3.625 inches COAL. It was grouping sub MOA at 200 yards. It was one of the best groups I shot out of this rifle. It was .75MOA at 200yrds. Mines is a 26 1/10 twist sendero with a brake, trigger adjusted, and bedded. You may just want to buy a box of the hunting rounds and see how they shoot if you want to shoot the 220grns.

Third. I would spend the money ( not a huge cost ) but get a side angled 3 or 4 port break. Its wort the price. I can shoot my rifle very comfortable for 40 rounds or more with out a problem. Get the trigger adjusted and if needed get it bedded. Not sure if mine needed but the smith did it anyway. It made it fit like a glove in the stock.

4th. For as presses Walmart in Meridian Idaho has the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme for 149.99. Decent price on a press that you will pass on to you kids. Also it has plenty of room for the ultramag length.

Last, braggin now. I took a deer with mine at 763 yards. 1 shot dead. This was with the 220 grn ELDX. Get a good shooting app for your phone or a Kestrel 5700 Elite meter with the applied ballistics. Then all you need is a range finder and the meter can do the rest. I use shooter app on an apple phone, kestrel 2500, and the sig kilo for range finder. I'll probably buy the 5700 elite next or a full blown range finder but then you still need a wind meter. That is why I think it makes more sense to get the 5700 Elite. Between using my phone, acquiring data and ranging. The buck kept moving and finally stood still long enough for a good range, check all the data, dial up and shoot. I do alot of hunting by myself so I have to get all my data checked out before taking a shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.