300 rum 210 vld

jdg300rum

Does anyone have a good load for a 300 rum in reloader 22 using a 210 vld. Also what kind of velocities. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jdg300rum
Sorry... today (4/21/06) I tried some 210 Berger VLD using Retumbo. The bullet was 0.005" into the lands and this was what I got:
92.0 Gr. --- 3018 ft/sec --- my best group
93.0 gr. --- 3033 ft/sec
94.0 gr. --- 3056 ft/sec
95.0 gr. --- 3114 ft/sec

All readings 10' away from muzzle.
Please do not use this info in your rifle, it might not be
safe in your rifle. I would start out at 85.0 grns of retumbo and work your way up. Good Shooting!

remingtonman_25_06,
All four groups I shot averaged just about 1.00" using retumbo 92,93,94,95... my best was 0.78" my first four shots including the clean barrel one, it was windy and gusting between 4 mi/hr and 10 mi/hr and it grouped 2 shots one bug hole and the other two shots one bug hole... I'll test it in better conditions and if I'm not pleased, 0.50" or so I'll drop it to about 2950 and see... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
it was windy and gusting between 4 mi/hr and 10 mi/hr.........I'll test it in better conditions ....

[/ QUOTE ]

It always amazes me just how relative of a term "windy" is. If we had to wait for better conditions than that, we never would get a load worked up!!

Bill Bailey,

[ QUOTE ]
It always amazes me just how relative of a term "windy" is. If we had to wait for better conditions than that, we never would get a load worked up!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not my intention to amaze you, or to say we could not work a load up in such mild conditions. I'm shooting a factory rifle, I'd be happy to get it to shoot within 1/2". A 10 mi/hr wind would deflect my bullet 0.35" @ 100 yards, well that would leave me 0.15" to work with in order to get my 1/2" group... well I'm not that good and I fear my rifle isn't that good. On the other hand, I mentioned a 0.78" group that I was able to get in those conditions, if I was to subtract the 0.35" or so, it would leave me with 0.43" group... that said, and yes we can work a load up in those conditions and have a pretty good idea of what is doing. Remember, I'm not shooting an Allen Mag. nor was I chasing the wind. ++++ I'm getting old and I have to concentrate due to the rifle lacking a muzzle break. What would really amaze you is how hard a 210 grain bullet at 3000 ft/sec without amuzzle break from a light sporter off of the bench can smack your shoulder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wasn't trying to be a smart ***. If I came across that way, I apologize. Windy is relative just like mountain is. We've got some mountains here in OK but I doubt some would think that is the appropriate use of the word.

I just wanted to point out how lucky some of you folks are. We've been salivating for 4 days over tomorrow. We are supposed to have variable 5-10 mph winds. This is as good as it gets around here. I'm jealous as heck of everyone who can wait for better conditions than this. Around here though, we've got to take what we can.

Again, I apologize if my post seemed rude or arrogant.

Bill Bailey,
No sweat my friend!!! Here in Carson City, NV some times is mighty windy up to 60 mi/hr, many times though I can get to the rifle range early in the morning like 6:30 AM or 7:00 AM and almost have no wind for about 4 or 5 hours.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you come we'll treat you right!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.