300 RUM, 190 gr LRX vs AK griz

Attachments

• 981B8788-C844-40B6-B953-CF6E847481BF.jpeg
    981B8788-C844-40B6-B953-CF6E847481BF.jpeg
    690.6 KB · Views: 99
Was gonna take either my 338 Edge or 338 NMI but blasted all my ammo during load workup and didn't have any left, same for the 300 NMI and 300 RUM, but I did have half a box of the Barnes factory 190 gr LRX ammo left from 2020 when I did my 300 RUM factory ammo chrono testing for velocity (second pic in op)

10 hr work day and didn't have much time left in the day, grabbed the RUM and took off
Hey congrats man! If you had grabbed enough of another variety of RUM you might have got the idea that you could fight that creature with your "bare/bear" fists haha…then we might not be hearing from ya. Glad you chose the correct kind of RUM!

If in years to come I find funds (and moreso time) to go after big grizz in bc/yukon/Alaska as someone who isn't from those places I've just acquired what I think would be my weapon of choice. Old brno zg47 rebarreled to .358 Norma magnum. Tracked down some projectiles already from a guy selling off stuff, among the usual soft points was a full box of 280 grain swift a-frames…that ought to do it!

Last edited:
How to hunt big game ?
Get a 300 RUM & get outta town

That's what I did ! Found this griz 50 miles outta town on Wed night around 11:30 pm (6/8/22) and stuck some Barnes 190 gr LRX bullets in him (Barnes factory ammo)

First shot at 14 paces directly in the chest under his chin as he came at me, the impact of the bullet knocked him down but he was back on his feet in a flash, swatting at the ground and snarling, he was broadside at that sec and I shot him in the shoulder the second time, knocking him down/spinning him facing away from me, as I approached him rifle ready, he jumped to his feet and made his way towards the impenetrable thick willow scrub, I shot him a third time directly in the back from ten feet away, breaking his back ... didn't want to go looking for him in the dense willow mess in the middle of the night ....

Suprisingly, with 3 shots in him and a broken back he still crawled away, pulling himself forward with his front paws/claws while snapping at and tearing the brush with his teeth, he made it 75 feet then I walked up on him and at point blank range put another 190 gr LRX bullet just behind the skull, ending it

All in all, the first shot killed him but he either didn't know it or didn't accept it right at the moment, the second shot was "keep shooting till he's down" , third shot was insurance, to confirm he was done , the fourth shot was a mercy shot to prevent unnecessary suffering

All this occured in mere seconds and I didn't have time to think, just react to the situation at hand

Solo bear hunts can be scary at times, especially when they involve a bear that won't give up, lol !

....View attachment 371651View attachment 371652
Great bear and even better story ! I still believe in bigger is better like having a 375 RUGER or 45/70 . A camp stove doing 2500 fps kills most everything in it's path .

How to hunt big game ?

That's what I did ! Found this griz 50 miles outta town on Wed night around 11:30 pm (6/8/22) and stuck some Barnes 190 gr LRX bullets in him (Barnes factory ammo)

First shot at 14 paces directly in the chest under his chin as he came at me, the impact of the bullet knocked him down but he was back on his feet in a flash, swatting at the ground and snarling, he was broadside at that sec and I shot him in the shoulder the second time, knocking him down/spinning him facing away from me, as I approached him rifle ready, he jumped to his feet and made his way towards the impenetrable thick willow scrub, I shot him a third time directly in the back from ten feet away, breaking his back ... didn't want to go looking for him in the dense willow mess in the middle of the night ....

Suprisingly, with 3 shots in him and a broken back he still crawled away, pulling himself forward with his front paws/claws while snapping at and tearing the brush with his teeth, he made it 75 feet then I walked up on him and at point blank range put another 190 gr LRX bullet just behind the skull, ending it

All in all, the first shot killed him but he either didn't know it or didn't accept it right at the moment, the second shot was "keep shooting till he's down" , third shot was insurance, to confirm he was done , the fourth shot was a mercy shot to prevent unnecessary suffering

All this occured in mere seconds and I didn't have time to think, just react to the situation at hand

Solo bear hunts can be scary at times, especially when they involve a bear that won't give up, lol !

YEAH BUDDY MAKING THE 300 RUM SHINE BABY!!!!!!

How to hunt big game ?

Congratulations

How to hunt big game ?

That is one hell of an experience ! Congrats on a nice bear.