.300 rum 168 vld coal?

bjohnson_7

I'm gonna start coyote hunting after deer season closes and instead of buying a new gun I'm gonna use my .300 RUM...I know a bit of an overkill...but I'm savin' my money up for an AR. I'm gonna give the Berger 168 VLD or the 168 Target bullet a try. Which bullet performs better? Anyone shooting this in their .300 RUM? I need a COAL to start with. I'm gonna start my loads at 100gr of Retumbo and Fed 215 primers.

I would use the target bullets. The hunting bullets might not not hold up to the velocity. The throat in your rifle may be different than someone elses so the COAL is relative. I use a bullet that is loosely seated in the neck, but tight enough to need some manual force to move in and out to find my "lands COAL".

A good place to start with the Bergers is about .010 off the lands. You should read this sticky found here in the the reloading forum...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/

Hope that helps,

Mark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.