300 RUM and 168 gr VLD

whip

I have been considering working up a load with the Berger 168 gr .30 for my 300 RUM but have not been able to find any data. Any starting suggestions or warnings about using the Berger bullets. I have not used the Bergers yet in any of my rifles. Previously I used 150 Accubonds, 180 Accubonds and Barnes 180 TSX. I was not happy with the terminal performance of the TSX on elk. The Accubonds have performed on the terminal end but the 180s lack the super tight groups of the 150 Acccubonds or the 180 TSX. I will be working up a sheep load but want enough bullet to stop a grizzly if I have an unexpected close range encounter! (Thats why I stopped using the 150 accubonds even though they shoot sub MOA in my rifle.) How do the Bergers perform on big game in Fast calibers like the 300 RUM. Should I be looking at the 185 Bergers instead of the 168. Local sporting goods store had a box of the 168s and I bought them but I could take them back and order the heavier bullets.

Yep I do carry bear spray and its my first choice but want a second option just in case.

I personally think the 168's are too light for the 300RUM, I have one and started out with the 185gr berger's, then went to the 190gr bergers and I believe I am going to settle on the 210gr bergers. I am getting accurate results from the 210gr at just over 3100fps. You can email berger for some load data, they are very good about that.
Good luck, PM me if you need any other info.
Chuck

I use h-1000 (96 gr.) fed.215, and 168 vld in mine. Drops Elk in tracks at up to 511 yds. so far. Coyotes and antelope at up to 830 yds. to date. Work up to this load slowly, as .5 gr more gets "hot" in my PAC NOR bbld 700 rem. Shoots sub moa out to 900 yds so far on paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.