300 prc build

Mannyl112

I'm wanting to build a 300 prc on a 700 action, that I would have trued/blueprinted. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what, or if anything would need to be done to the feed ramp? I was wanting a dbm, but I have nothing against a hinged floor plate, or even a single shot of I need to. I want to buy the action already, but i cant figure out if I buy the one with the regular feed ramp, or if I need to buy the one with the wider feed ramp.

Thanks in advance!
P.s.

It may cost a bit more, but I'd look at a different/custom action. The cost when you buy a stock 700 action and then pay to have it trued seems to add up quickly. You might look at the ARC Nucleus or a Kelby's atlas/atlas tactical actions.

You just need s regular long action and the same bolt face the .300 win mag uses. The extra wide fees ramp you are mentioning usually go with the remington ultra mags. You don't need that receiver. Checkout sniperhide. There's some overly detailed information about people building a .300 prc. A lot of barrel companies have the tooling for it now and consider it a standard cartridge so it makes ordering it a little cheaper.

Why do you want a 300 PRC? It is too early to tell for certain but it appears as if it is not going to be able to replicate the performance of the 30 Nosler. When properly throated the 30 Nosler will push a 215 Berger 3100. It does not look like my PRC is going to be able to do that. If you are interested I have a thread on Rokslide for a comparison of the Nosler, PRC, and Win Mag. When my data collection is complete I will have a full write up/review.

You can use a Rem 700 Long Action, .532" magnum bolt face for the 300 PRC, the standard feed ramp works fine, the Rem mag box is 3.7" long and the loaded factory Hornady 225gr ELD-M ammo is 3.670" the 225gr ELD-X is 3.650",

Ive already loaded and shot the 230gr ScenarL, 210gr VLDs as well as both factory loads and no issue feeding any of them.

My first build is on a Kimber Montana 8400 (300 winmag donor) and the gunsmith just opened the mag box up to 3.7" and works like a dream, the barrel is a 26" Hells canyon Carbon Fiber 1-9.5 twist

I was getting between 2788-2808 with the factory 225gr ELDM-adv vel 2810 and 2839-2847 with the 212gr ELD-X, adv vel 2850fps, this is from a brand new barrel which Im sure will speed up a touch, on another note I was getting 2900fps with 77.0grs of R26 and the 230gr ScenarL's

215 Bergers are 3.750 touching the lands of a SAAMI 300 PRC chamber. If I were building one from scratch I would either get less freebore or have the action opened for a Wyatts box. My rifle hates both factory ammos. Again, if you forced me to choose one today I would go 30 Nosler without a doubt.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.