300 PRC dying?

I think the PRC has an interesting place. Issue is it's not THAT much superior over the 300 WM and doesn't match the Norma.. so it's in that middle ground where there was a lot of marketing hype. It will be around for a bit, Hornady has invested so much money into it, it will stay alive. It's a great round, I love it, but it's not one that blow up my dress.
I shoot a 300prc and love it over my 2 300wm. In my opinion it's an improved 300wm so to speak. The 300norma is what hornady wanted the 300prc to be and it shows.

On the government/military side it's dead. The Navy canceled the rest of their 300prc barrels/ammo purchases cause they're going with the 300 Norma In the mrad. It's becoming standardized across the services. 338norma, 300 Norma and .308. Navy wanted the prc but Army won with all the testing on the Norma. And the marines just selected the mrad to upgrade a while back too. Good thing is that should free up brass for the civilian side since consumers are really what keep firearm mfr's and component makers in business.
This makes complete sense. Did I actually say that about the government?

The minimal gains of the 300PRC over the 300WM just doesn't make sense for the military. They are so heavily invested in it that it would be a fool's errand to change for a virtual net zero gain. The 300 Norma was the right direction to go as it offers a significant gain over the 300WM and can reliable be used in full auto fire.

Before I found the 300nm (404J), I did see the 300lm (also 404J). Both make sense, but the nm has a tad bit more max pressure with a little less powder volume. I haven't invested anything into either yet, but the nm would be my choice over a 300prc. I state that due to a lot more gain between the wm and the nm in a 30cal. I see where McGowen makes a 6.5prc barrel for ar10's. Most likely needing to use 135gr or less bullets even with a m118 mag (2.830" coal).

300 PRC will be here to stay with me. I have several 30 caliber rifles including rums, 30-378, several 300 wins. This is a joy to shoot and dang accurate!!!!!

I have been seeing more used rifles for sale in this calaiber than I would have thought given how new it is….
I think that's because of 3 reasons...

Either they got bit hard by the LR bug and are stepping up to something else.

Or they can't find any factory ammo because there are only 2 types

Or they drank the hornady kool-aid and are buying the latest "new from hornady".

That's my guess

If I could find a place that had RL26 in stock I would have zero complaints about my 300prc. Finding slow burning power is hard right now. I want to try some different bullets but I'm waiting till I get more powder before I start experimenting.

300PRC is a great cartridge which is here to stay. It is only just starting to reach its stride... and I predict many more people will be shooting it. However, the new 7PRC will eclipse it within a short period of time after launch.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Maybe…I wonder if the 7s weird "neither short nor long" case length will be held against it?

Maybe…I wonder if the 7s weird "neither short nor long" case length will be held against it?
Seems unlikely. It's right at the upper end of where 7mm are really efficient and doing what they do best, I think people know that and have been waiting for that long enough they're not going to care too much. I bet there's also a lot of people like me who are recoil sensitive who didn't buy the 300 or who would sell their 300 if they haven't already for it. If Hornady could make a hit out of filling a much smaller gap in the market with the 300 they'd have to really screw something up for the 7 to do bad. .8 BC at 2950? people are going to want that whether they understand it or not.