300 or 338

The Berger 230 target hybrid is a great projectile at 300 Rum, Norma Mag, Lapua Imp Mag velocities, really impressive performance with the high BC, the 215 is no slouch either.

But the 338s can carry more of everything in the same size case with the Berger 300 EH or OTM.

Then you can step it up again to the big 375s, that's another game all together, miles too much of everything, which just makes it cooler, way over kill :)

I've got a 338Norma Mag and when this barrel is burned out, it might be changed to a 300-338Norma Mag Improved 30. Shooting a 230grn berger.

Either that or just switch up to something new by the time it comes to that.

I've shot next to a buddy with a 300Rum at 1798yds and he was keeping up very well. So there is something to be said about that also. I believe he was pushing the 230's.

xdeano
Try the .300 Ackley Mag....If you don't like it, you can always open the chamber up to .300-338 Norma.

Try the .300 Ackley Mag....If you don't like it, you can always open the chamber up to .300-338 Norma.

Just not a fan of the 40 degree shoulder. The shoulders tend to hang up. A 30 degree shoulder is more efficient for flow then a 40. 40 keeps the powder trapped.

I just like my improved 30's.

Thank you for the suggestion though. Maybe the OP might keep that in mind also.

Deano

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.