7mm, 300, or 338 RUM?

i had a 15 yr old shoot my edge a couple months ago. he couldn't believe how little it kicked. said it was like shooting a 22. he also said it was a dream come true when he exploded a milk jug at 600.

i'm with GG. deer at 500. get a 308 and put 500 rounds out of it at distance before next year.... they won't stand a chance.

I'm building a off a long action, so I might as well use the space. My stock isn't supposed to arrive for several months still, so I guess I'll just load up the 7mm and practice at longer ranges. Can't wait to try out a custom barrel, stock, bedded, trued action, etc.

338 Edge

Hi I would build a 338 Edge because you can neck up any ultramag case performance and barrel life are awsome. If you are building on a Savage you should use an action with the larger tennon with any case that has a diameter of .550 or larger. I'm not sure the large tennon diameter but I am sure Kirby could help you. You may be able to have the action bored out and single point cut to 1.062" 16tpi the same as a remington I would also fit the barrel like a Remington without the barrel nut using a barrel with a 1.250" knox.

If you are looking at staying with the small thread have a look at a 300 H&H improved or 300STW or for better barrel life a 338STW that would be an awsome rifle for you to shoot. I would also have a good break fitted and wear hearing protection a large magnum WILL damage your hearing ask any of us who have been shooting all our lives I wish electronic ear muffs were available when I was growing up because my hearing has been damaged.

Cheers Bill
Australia

ER Shaw lists barrels for the RUM's for Savage's through their custom build section. Doesn't list any warnings about the "tennon". Is this the different shank sizes?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.