.300 NM build questions

milanuk

Curious about a project I've been thinking about... given a starting point of a 110BA action, what all would be needed to convert it .300 Norma?

The action was originally a .338LM, currently wearing a .300WM barrel, so I have two bolts set up for it - one with each bolt face.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Lapua and Norma are the same bolt face . If that's correct, it's just a matter of a barrel and reloading components.

CBI makes a nice pre fit , you'd have to contact them and see if they have the appropriate reamer .

pac-nor is only one I know of that does 300 NM that makes pre-fit barrels. last I heard CBI wont even do the RUM but that was couple years ago

That's pretty much what I found looking around various barrel suppliers websites.

Not sure if it's a matter of the 300 NM being still relatively 'new', not really having domestic gun/ammo manufacturers behind it pushing, or the relative scarcity of suitable actions that could even take a pre-fit in that size of case/bolt i.e. the large shank 338 actions a standard 11x long action, or a combination of the above.

another one to check with is southern precision rifles their site says they do bartlein savage prefits , does the standard mag bolthead work for the winmag ?

the lapua bolthead is a tad longer than all the others that I know of what I am wanting to know if the little bit shorter bolthead from a standard magnum works I am pretty sure it does but this is the first time that I have heard of someone who has possibly done it

In this particular instance, given that both bolts are factory setup for the 110BA action - which comes in both calibers - yes, it does.

Back when I originally started the project - like 6-7 yrs ago - I thought I'd just take the bolt apart and swap the bolt heads, like you would on a SA caliber like going from .308 to .223. Oh no. The thicker bolt head for the .338LM means the firing pin has to be adjusted out longer. The gunsmith I was working with on the project at the time had a copy of an old article from Precision Shooting on adjusting the firing pin protrusion for Savage Actions, by Bob Greenleaf. Great stuff. Long story short, it's *not* nearly as simple as swapping parts around on the bolt. I probably could have got away with an extra firing pin assembly - one set up for the .300WM, and one set up for the .338LM, with just one bolt body, handle, etc. As it was, I decided it was just easier to have two complete bolts all s

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts