300 Kodiak Case Forming

However they are formed, if he had those cases, he had a reamer. Looks like a sizing die with an unthreaded hole in the top. Along with that is a reamer made to fit it. I still remember the blisters from making .357AMP brass years ago from 30-06 and .308. Do not try and form those cases without reaming the necks before loading and shooting them.
Here is another thing you might be able to do without spending a fortune on dies. This is an experiment I would try if I had the gun, brass, and only reloading dies, and couldn't find any HH brass.. I caution you it would be better and cheaper to just get some .300HH brass and load them with your Kodiak dies and fireform. Naw, I'm not going to go there. Find some HH brass, load it with your Kodiak dies and fireform, no reaming. You will be ahead several hundred dollars. Save the cylindrical brass for that .458 Lott you will build someday.
Thanks Guys, His father did work for RCBS, so I suspect that's where the form dies were located. Brian at RCBS is working on it for us.
Will keep you informed.

That brass looks to be old enough that your friend's father had it. If that is the case, he also had the stuff to form it the way I posted. You might have your friend hunt it if not lost forever. I think Sinclair's website still carries similar stuff. You can look there and see what I am talking about if still available.
Yes we are going to do a search.

Maybe I am missing something, but I am assuming that 300 Kodiak is just a blown-out 300 H&H. Easiest was to get cases would be to fireform the cases from the H&H and trim accordingly. What I did with my first 300 Weatherby.

Cylindrical cases are beyond me but could be the basis for some really interesting 500 Mag!
Thats what we were hoping.

Last edited:
Maybe I am missing something, but I am assuming that 300 Kodiak is just a blown-out 300 H&H. Easiest was to get cases would be to fireform the cases from the H&H and trim accordingly. What I did with my first 300 Weatherby.

Cylindrical cases are beyond me but could be the basis for some really interesting 500 Mag!
Thats what we think also, getting some 300H&H dies from Slibey, and we'll find out, did find some 300 H&H regular brass to work with. I think I will keep the tubes for something down the road. Or trade it to someone that needs it worse than me. Will keep you posted.

Thats what we think also, getting some 300H&H dies from Slibey, and we'll find out, did find some 300 H&H regular brass to work with. I think I will keep the tubes for something down the road. Or trade it to someone that needs it worse than me. Will keep you posted.
I wish brass manufacturers make wildcat tubes. Peterson makes them in 468 x 2.175 (w/ Creedmoor Shoulder Line). I asked if they have any plans on making for other cartridges, but they said no. Should you decide to sell/trade, please let me know. BTW, the .300 Kodiak seems similar to .300 ICL magnum. Good luck.

Ed

I wish brass manufacturers make wildcat tubes. Peterson makes them in 468 x 2.175 (w/ Creedmoor Shoulder Line). I asked if they have any plans on making for other cartridges, but they said no. Should you decide to sell/trade, please let me know. BTW, the .300 Kodiak seems similar to .300 ICL magnum. Good luck.

Ed
Will do ED,
from Val

You don't need HH dies. You can just load HH cases in your dies. You are not going to shoot them in a HH

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.