300 hulk

ozzie longshot

Hi guys it's Scotty from Longshot shooting supplies in Australia. Basically I just finished putting to get her a e 338NM which was by far the most accurate shooter I've used. I've heard alot about the 300NM and the 300hulk. The 300 HULK is next on my list to build. All these calibres are still new or haven't even been used over here so getting advice or components are next to impossible.
Was wondering if I can get some advice or does and don'ts when getting dies , brass ect..
Is there a 300 hulk die set or will I have to tweak another. Also will it be better necking down 338LM brass or getting 338NM brass?.
Thanks in advance guys.
Scotty

Good luck with finding info. I've tried to find info for a 30-338 lapua improved 40 degree. I couldn't get any help. From what I've gathered you need lapua mag brass and shorten it. A friend of mine has a 7mm holy grail (Norma mag necked to 7mm and a 40 degree shoulder) he was talking to a guy who had a 7mm hulk. I will try to get in touch with that guy for you. I believe you are going to have to go full custom dies for any hulk. Buy a wilson 30cal seater blank and run your reamer in it for a seater then get redding, hornady, rcbs, c4hd, or whidden. To make you a sizer. I've had to get a neulon blank sizer and get a sizing reamer. Ream it and heat treat it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,151
Cheers mate.
Ya I'm aware of the difference, it's just habit as "cartridge" doesn't get used in any licensing paperwork over here. Everything is determined by calibre not the cartridge. It's weird I know but if I put cartridge on my weapons permits it would get sent back to me.. lol.. it's a **** ozzie government thing.
Thanks for the reply.
Scotty

I've been told that there are a few companies over your way that make dies up off used cases?. It would be cheaper this way rather then getting a "resize" reamer to make the resizing die as well as a chamber reamer. Anyone know who does this?.
Cheers
Scotty

Neil Jones is by far one of the best. He will build a NS only die off your reamer print and then after you have fired some cases 3X, send the NS die back with the fired cases and he makes a body insert that is FL and uses special NS bushings that come down and bump the shoulder.

On a Hulk size case, figure around $350 with a couple bushings and absolutely top quality. Google neil jones dies.

John Widden also might make them.

Did you ask Tom Sarver?

Cheers mate.
Ya I'm aware of the difference, it's just habit as "cartridge" doesn't get used in any licensing paperwork over here. Everything is determined by calibre not the cartridge. It's weird I know but if I put cartridge on my weapons permits it would get sent back to me.. lol.. it's a **** ozzie government thing.
Thanks for the reply.
Scotty

ozzie,

at the bottom of my posts is my "QUOTE" line ........... none of which was directed at you as it appears in all of my posts,

I apologize if it may have looked like I was razzing you...

Neil Jones does phenomenal work but you need to have patience as he is a one man shop, he made my 300 Tomahawk dies back in '02 and last year he made dies for my wildcats 6.5 Pro, 7.62 Pro & 375 Pro.......

his dies are works of art but at the cost of time most of us have no patience for in this ultra sped up world we live in......

honorable mention also to Whidden dies..... they made my case forming and precision reloading dies for my 375 Mjolnir and 338 Wolverine wildcats..... exceptional work and in less time than quoted, will definately use Whidden again as I have a few more wildcats coming.......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts