300 grain Berger Disappointment - What am I doing wrong? ANOTHER UPDATE

Re: 300 grain Berger Disappointment - What am I doing wrong?

montana_native,

Please verify the twist rate of your barrel. What you're describing is consistent with a twist rate slower than 1:10".

A 1:11" would shoot SMK's well but Berger Hybrids not so well since the Berger's are longer they need a true 1:10".

You can check barrel twist using a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch. Measure how far the cleaning rod travels to complete 1 full turn. Repeat the measurement several times and take an average.

Another thought, has the rifle shot SMK's well since you started trying with the Bergers? Maybe something happened about the time you switched bullets? But if the rifle shoots SMK's well, then Bergers poorly at the same time, that would indicate the difference really is related to the bullet.

Take care,
-Bryan

I confirmed that it is a 10 twist...or very close to it.

Jeff,

You are first in line when I give up. :)

Stick with the SMK, since the @!%&'s and Berger can't produce any 300 grainers anyway.

By the way, do you have any .338 300 gr. Elite Hunters for sale? :eek:)

I confirmed the SMK load again. It shot a 1.15" CTC 3-shot group at 430 yards.

The Bergers shot a 3.28" CTC 3-shot group at the same distance.

The only thing I haven't tried with the Bergers yet is jamming them. Thoughts on trying this?

Thanks

Re: 300 grain Berger Disappointment - What am I doing wrong? UPDATE

I shot the Bergers out of my Edge jammed .010". Just back off on the powder charge a little

Re: 300 grain Berger Disappointment - What am I doing wrong? UPDATE

Mine shoots big holes when jammed enough to leave the bullet in the bbl when ejecting unfired cartridge.

I love the small groups but it's simply not a good arrangement.

Jamming 0.015" into the lands produced two groups that were well under an inch at 330 yards. I am not too excited about having to do that, but they sure seem to like it on this rifle.

Jamming 0.015" into the lands produced two groups that were well under an inch at 330 yards. I am not too excited about having to do that, but they sure seem to like it on this rifle.

.2 moa at 330 yards is pretty sweet. Especially if it repeats.

I am not to worried about a .015" Jam. But if you want to feel better about it, measure one, chamber it, eject and re-measure to see if it remains the same.

Also, you could try just touching the lands and see if they are just as happy there.

Congrats!! and way to stick with it. I think you will like the less drift and drop at longer distances.

gun)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lightbulb

Jeff

I will play with seating depth a bit more and see what happens. Like you said Broz, I might try just a 0.005" jam. I wasn't expecting them to be so tempermental.

I will play with seating depth a bit more and see what happens. Like you said Broz, I might try just a 0.005" jam. I wasn't expecting them to be so tempermental.

I agree and they haven't been in the 338's I have set them up in and that is close to a dozen. In the last couple days we were fighting a 7mm that was a solid 1" + rifle at 100.Two different powders and all seating depths were used. I have never had an issue getting the 180's to shot in any 9 twist before. This was not acceptable and we switched to 168 classic hunters. First test load showed another 1" group...:rolleyes: Second load was on the lands and shot the next two groups, one touching one under 1/2". We took this and ran and found the rifle to now be very effective to well past 1000 yards. So, was it the bullets being temperamental or the rifle??? My first 338 I used the 300 OTM in shot under 1/2 moa with 5 shot groups at every seating depth tried from touching to .062" off. I could not tell a difference. This is why I am not sure we can say it is the bullet. I think I have more trouble with rifles individual needs than I do bullets.

But if they shoot good then you have conquered the problem do matter what it was. That is what counts.:)

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.