.300 BLK at range

TK 1985

I'm curious as to why people seem to be wanting to push the.300 blackout to longer ranges. That is kind of the exact opposite of the purpose it was designed for, i.e. a close range suppressed caliber taking advantage of existing military equipment. Other cartridges perform a lot better, I would think, in the longer range hunting game out of the AR platform. Is there something I'm missing here, or it it one of those "because we can" things?

I'm curious as to why people seem to be wanting to push the.300 blackout to longer ranges. That is kind of the exact opposite of the purpose it was designed for, i.e. a close range suppressed caliber taking advantage of existing military equipment. Other cartridges perform a lot better, I would think, in the longer range hunting game out of the AR platform. Is there something I'm missing here, or it it one of those "because we can" things?
This guy shoots his .300 BLK at some very long ranges, pretty consistently, too.

[ame]http://youtu.be/tgKjbySsAik[/ame]

That was very informative. I'm impressed with the distance they are getting out of it. What I'm not so keen on is his comparison of both flight and terminal ballistics between the 5.56 NATO and .300 BLK without any mention of bullet speeds or weights being compared.

why? why not?

some people like a challenge.

other people shy away and avoid challenges.

Same reason two pre-historic cave men sat in a cave saying "Ugh... me, throw rock farther..."

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.