.300 Blackout bullets?

I haven't tried any yet, my 300BLK is in jail right now, but I have done some reading. I'm planning on using 208 A-Max, but I have a lot of Berger 230s I'm not shooting in anything else. I also have some 212 and 220 eldx that I will try. I want the heaviest, most fragile bullet that will stabilize subsonic. I'm looking for anybody that has tried this as well.

I have been messing with .300 BO sub loads obsessively from the day I bought my Remington 700 chambered for it. I have loaded from 86 grains to 220 and finally I have settled on one load. In my bolt I shoot 208 grain A Max with a charge of 8 grains of Lil' Gun. My AR load is again the 208 grain A Max with Accurate 1680 (10.8 grains I think). I am still working on the AR and I would rather use my bolt gun, the AR cycling is too noisy. The only projectile I have heard of that expands at these speeds are Lehigh. Too pricey for me. I have recovered projectiles shot at sub speeds and some could be dusted off and reloaded, they hardly distort. I even went as far as to hollow point some 220 grain Hornady round nose but have never shot an animal with them. I did a phone book test at about twenty yards and they appear to expand but that's hardly a good test. The hardest part I have found in loading sub's is to keep them under the speed limit and then the dreaded squib load, had a couple of them and that spoils your day trying to push it out of the barrel. The 220 round nose aren't as accurate as the A Max and a lot of shooters use 220 SMK's and again, no expansion. Most of the guys I know shooting pigs try to get close head shots, mostly at night with thermal optics. On a coyote I would guess a body shot would be a pass through with some bullet tumbling damage unless you hit a bony area. Don't know what kind of energy a 208 grain bullet has at 200 yards with a muzzle velocity around a 1000 fps, guess it would be like a 45 auto. I have some pictures of the hollow points, remember that's close range into dry phone books. I have had some really accurate sub loads with 150 grain bullets with Trail Boss but I can't get a consistent velocity and after ten shots I have to clean the barrel. Trail Boss is sooty. I have stuck lighter bullets in my barrel except for the 86 grain so I have about given up on those. Wado

Attachments

• Hollow Pointer 003.jpg
    Hollow Pointer 003.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Expansion Test 007.jpg
    Expansion Test 007.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Hollow Pointer 005.jpg
    Hollow Pointer 005.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 127
Outlaw state bullets makes some really nice sub-sonic velocity expanding bullets. I use their 260g bullet in my Ruger American 300BO. I'm using IMR 4198 and an initial velocity of 1050fps. It shoots right at 1" at 100 yards with a 1.5-4 luepold. It's pure carnage on deer. It penetrates about 9" and the bullet readily expands to about 1-1/2", and retains about 80g. If I shoot through the shoulder it penetrates about 6" and breaks up into 6 pieces about 30g each. Head shots are really ugly. Graphically ugly. A lot.
I played with the 230g Berger OTM, it shoots really accurately but it just punched straight through without expanding, even though I hit bone. Both shoulders and a rib. It just veered off a little and kept going. No evidence of tumbling, in the autopsy, just a arced pencil wound and a long, long spotty blood trail. I won't ever do that to an animal again. Some guys love them and the 220 and 240 Sierra matchking for head shots they do the trick and put their lights right out. Ethically, Dead RIGHT There. Just not with body shots through the vitals, in my experience.

Www.outlawstatenullets.com

wildcater,

I don't recall a coyote ever doing more than dropping on the spot. If I don't have that shot I don't make a shot. Heart, spine or head.

I've been working with some of the Cutting Edge Raptor bullets:

.308 Cal - 190gr - FLAT BASE RAPTOR (Sub-Sonic)

This Flat Base RaptorTM is a solid copper bullet designed to function at sub-sonic speeds putting game on the ground quickly and quietly.

A minimum impact velocity of 900 fps is required for the hollow point to function as intended. This makes an excellent choice for .300 Blackout and .300 Whisper rifles.

100% Lead Free

So for all you California shooters, here is a possible solution.

In my 16.5" AR15 in 300 Whisper I can get down to subsonic with a full load of VV Tin Star.

The 900 fps. low level velocity will get you past 300 yards if you can keep up with the drop...

Yes, they're a little bit pricey but I don't ever shoot that many so it all works out in the end.

Enjoy!

Oh, I forgot, here is the proper spelling with a 'b' for the other bullet maker:

www.outlawstatebullets.com

sable tireur,

I have a box of 100 .308 220 gr, BASIC BULLET EXPANDING SUBSONIC, (100 count) $58.00 on the way along with a scope. Today I will check on a suppressor.

wildcater,

Excellent! I can't wait to read your report. Post back when you have additional information please.

Regards.

Thank you for the correction of the link. I fat fingered it and failed to
fully proofread before hitting submit

Trnelson,

You should see some of mine when I'm in a hurry! It's like a whole new language... Sometimes I can only shake my head wondering how I could make some many mistakes in just a few words.

Regards.

I use Berger 210 VLD's backed with either H110 or Alliant 300-MP and CCI 450's. I cut and form my own cases from once-fired Fed LC 5.56 brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.