30 nosler questions

TikkaT3Hunter

I have a few questions that I need help getting answers for. I have a custom rifle with Terminous Helios action, a barrel that I wont say the builder. (they are an absolute crook and I'm still ****ed off at them a year later!). Its a 26" 1-10 twist 5R rifling. AG composite stock. I would like to set it up to run over 200 gr for elk n moose and long range metal. (up to 1K or so) Stock ammo is not super accurate, right around 1" moa. I expected more from the gun. I plan to load my own ammo so hopefully that accuracy improves. I have a local smith who will throat it to the 215 berger for a reasonable price. If I do that will it still shoot stock ammo or does it limit me to shooting only that bullet. Can it shoot lighter grain bullets or a different brand bullet if I want to try something else? Thanks in advance for any and all advice and input.

The longer throat will limit what will be close to the rifling and still fit in the magazine. You didn't say what mag length you have and I do not know that action.
It will make little difference to accuracy with lighter weight bullets.
Factory ammo will still shoot, as the 300WM has a long throat in comparison to factory loaded length anyway.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Do you have a 30 Nosler already and are looking for advice on whether or not to get it throated for the 215s? Or getting it built?

Either way if you decide to have the barrel cut for the 215s it will still shoot factory ammo just fine, maybe even better who knows.

If you already have the 30 Nosler try loading some 215s and see where you are at. Mine is running the 215s at 3.905 inches and shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100. Still need to see where my pressure limit is for top speed. It's definitely doable in a sammi chamber.