30 Nosler Questions

If you use saami reamers it will be, a 3.7 Rum mag box in a 700 action is enough
Thats a good point, just be sure to get a RUM mag box. The rifle I built my 28 Nosler from was a 375 Ruger before and is only 3.5 or something close to that. I find myself wishing I had more room.

What twist rate are you guys shooting? This will be a long range hunting gun and I want to try Accubond LR as well Berger 200, 210, and 215. The 210s say they require an 11 twist and the 215 a 10 twist. What's the best twist to go with to shoot this range of bullets? You never know which exact bullet it's going to like.

I've shot 10 twist in 3-30 Noslers and they have all shot great. Put a 10 on my 30-28 but dont have it up and going yet.

I'm having JGS cut me a reamer with a freebore to set the Berger 210 VLDH boattail/bearing surface junction at the neck/shoulder junction of the 30 Nosler case.

The freebore in my case/reamer is 0.1706 on the drawing. It actually is 0.1665" based on a 0.300" bore instead of the normal 0.295" measurement on JGS's drawing.

This should put the OAL at around 3.600" or just under for the Berger 210 VLDH bullet.

My ADG brass is very consistent on weight from case to case. The one box of Hornady 30 Nosler brass I picked up was not nearly as consistent on weight.

I would check your measurements again or send in a dummy round. My first 30 Nosler reamer I sent in a dummy round to JGS and it measured out with a 210 just above the neck shoulder junction O.A.L at 3.53. Doing the math from bergers site with a 210 at the neck shoulder junction it comes out to 3.507

I would check your measurements again or send in a dummy round. My first 30 Nosler reamer I sent in a dummy round to JGS and it measured out with a 210 just above the neck shoulder junction O.A.L at 3.53. Doing the math from bergers site with a 210 at the neck shoulder junction it comes out to 3.507

That's pretty close. I was going off memory. It's close to the number you posted.

I had my 30nos chambered with hells canyon match reamer that has 200fb, however judging by my lands measurement with bullets, I suspect its closer to 220, typical of PTG to get things off by a small amount. I believe my rounds loaded with 215 hybrids were around 3.63" I don't recall exactly.

I'm having JGS cut me a reamer with a freebore to set the Berger 210 VLDH boattail/bearing surface junction at the neck/shoulder junction of the 30 Nosler case.

The freebore in my case/reamer is 0.1706 on the drawing. It actually is 0.1665" based on a 0.300" bore instead of the normal 0.295" measurement on JGS's drawing.

This should put the OAL at around 3.600" or just under for the Berger 210 VLDH bullet.

My ADG brass is very consistent on weight from case to case. The one box of Hornady 30 Nosler brass I picked up was not nearly as consistent on weight.

I went back and measured one of my loaded rounds that's set up for the JGS reamer I'm waiting on.

I get 3.543" OAL with a Berger 210 VLDH bullet seated with the boattail/BS junction at the neck/shoulder junction of the case.

Attachments

• 30 NOS RC.pdf
    300 KB · Views: 215
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.