30 Nosler #2 XP-100 Update

Buttermilk

I posted a few days ago about my second XP-100 chambered in 30 Nosler. I liked my first one so well, I wanted a second one built very similar but with a carbon wrapped barrel. I was hoping to save a pound or two compared to the first one.

Sometime back, I started collecting parts to build the second one. I already had a JGS reamer cut to my specs, a gun I could use as the basis for the build, and a new McMillan stock I could use, so I just needed a barrel, scope base, scope and muzzle brake.

I placed an order for a Ken Farrel 20 MOA base. I prefer this base for a simple reason: it's extended forward such that a pistol scope can be mounted farther forward if desired. Something that some EER scopes need. However, I would be using a rifle scope. It arrived in a timely manner.

Since a rifle scope was going to be used, I would need a good muzzle brake. I have had exceptional recoil reduction using an MBM 5-port Beast brake, so I placed an order. It arrived rather quickly.

I set about deciding what I wanted for a barrel, and made a phone call to Bartlein. They told me the could make me a heavy Palma contour carbon wrapped barrel with their new 400MODBB barrel steel in a 9 twist 5R configuration. Months later, the barrel arrived. Upon opening the package, I realized I did not get the Hvy Palma contour I was told they could do on the carbon wrapped barrel. A call to Bartlein and a short conversation later, I told them I would be a happy customer if they refunded my $200 up charge for the custom contour that I did not get, which they gladly did. What I received instead is an M24/M40 contour. Either way I happy.

Just before build completion, I picked up a Leupold VX5HD 3x-15x-56 Fire Dot duplex scope. Already had some Weaver 6 screw medium height rings.

After some careful consideration, I chose to use H2 Creations for this build. Shane Howeth was top notch in his professionalism, his communication and his workmanship.

Finally the XP-100 was ready to be picked up. And a range trip was in order. Today I made time for a range trip. I only shot 8 rounds total due to time constraints and other obligations.

Shots 6, 7, 8 were pleasing to the eye.

I used ammo I had loaded up already for 30 Nosler #1. After getting on paper, shots 6, 7, & 8 were under 1/2 MOA.

I still have to make some scope adjustments, but that's just a few clicks of the scope, to get zero'd.

Initial impression is good. Gun fit and finish is excellent, and it just might turn out to shoot decent.

Attachments

• B40D7A87-B941-4EFB-8369-E8D1702AA13E.jpeg
    B40D7A87-B941-4EFB-8369-E8D1702AA13E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • F8C0CD5C-A5F1-4D00-876D-DEAC7E330BF7.jpeg
    F8C0CD5C-A5F1-4D00-876D-DEAC7E330BF7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 144
  • 3E6A43B9-EC7E-4EB7-9C47-EC662763A04E.jpeg
    3E6A43B9-EC7E-4EB7-9C47-EC662763A04E.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 138
Roger,
Did you use the same muzzle brake you did on #1? I have to get mine finished before deer season and there is too much going on. Read I'm behind the curve, way behind.

Buttermilk, Since you have experience with MBM brakes how many ports would you recommend on a 300 WSM build? I'll be shooting 200.20x berger's from a 14-15" barrel
"With my muzzle brakes, after about 50grs of powder you will reduce more recoil with a 4 port brake then a 3 port. This is powder charge weights not total capacity. This means short action non-magnum calibers like .243 win, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308 are best for 3 ports. The transition from 4 to 5 ports is about 65-70grs. 4 ports tend to be all that is needed for the smaller magnums and most of the long action non-magnum cases. There is a benefit to a 5 port on cases about the size of a 300 win mag and up."

"With my muzzle brakes, after about 50grs of powder you will reduce more recoil with a 4 port brake then a 3 port. This is powder charge weights not total capacity. This means short action non-magnum calibers like .243 win, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308 are best for 3 ports. The transition from 4 to 5 ports is about 65-70grs. 4 ports tend to be all that is needed for the smaller magnums and most of the long action non-magnum cases. There is a benefit to a 5 port on cases about the size of a 300 win mag and up."
Nathan? what about a 3 port super beast? would that be on par with a 4 port beast? (I like the look of the 3 port better but not against going 4)

Buttermilk, Since you have experience with MBM brakes how many ports would you recommend on a 300 WSM build? I'll be shooting 200.20x berger's from a 14-15" barrel
I would choose a minimum of 4, and would personally go with 5, as that would help mitigate and recoil making it more likely to spot hits at distance.

I've done 4 ports even on small calibers like 6mm ARC.

This is copied from your post above: "There is a benefit to a 5 port on cases about the size of a 300 win mag and up."

300 WSM is right there.

I love this set up and am a huge fan of the 30 Nosler! Well done sir!!
Thanks! This one a long time coming. Life events got in the way, job changes, career changes, and at times looked like it wasn't going to happen. At last it did. Pretty pleased with it.

The 30 Nosler is perhaps my favorite cartridge, though I really like them all (the 7mm RSAUM is a very close second, and I don't understand why this one isn't more mainstream).

It shoots as good as I hoped with a load I already had developed for my first 30 Nosler XP.

I've shot it at 400 yds with excellent results. I plan to use it deer hunting in two weeks. Won't be any longs shot where I plan to hunt (that could change) but that's okay. As long as I have a handgun of some kind in my hand, the hunt will be good.