30 mag

Having a common sense is not the same as your previous statement of solving a problem that does not exist. Not really sure why you are comparing the performance between the .338 EDGE and .300 PRC. My response was not chambering specific.

As it should be. We should be thankful we have another choice to choose from. What one does with the choice is entirely up to the end-user as they have the ultimate decision.

There's no performance comparison made or inferred regarding the 338 or 300. The 338 edge reference is to say that wildcatting (just a different approach) is done all the time and often doesn't achieve much, if anything different than what's already available (338 Lapua/norma in this instance). Powder capacity and barrel length overwhelmingly dictate a cartridge's abilities. Case shape accounts for a much smaller % of performance.
The 300 PRC offers the same benefit relative to the other 30 cal magnums as my 338 edge does to the 338 lapua. Hope that provides some clarity.
Definitely a fan of innovation. Innovation usually solves a problem or does something better (common sense reference) . IMO the 300 prc is largely a copycat. I'll never own one, but wish anyone who does the best of luck. Time and more importantly sales, will dictate if this is a success.

I'm done commenting on this thread.

There's no performance comparison made or inferred regarding the 338 or 300. The 338 edge reference is to say that wildcatting (just a different approach) is done all the time and often doesn't achieve much, if anything different than what's already available (338 Lapua/norma in this instance). Powder capacity and barrel length overwhelmingly dictate a cartridge's abilities. Case shape accounts for a much smaller % of performance.
The 300 PRC offers the same benefit relative to the other 30 cal magnums as my 338 edge does to the 338 lapua. Hope that provides some clarity.
Definitely a fan of innovation. Innovation usually solves a problem or does something better (common sense reference) . IMO the 300 prc is largely a copycat. I'll never own one, but wish anyone who does the best of luck. Time and more importantly sales, will dictate if this is a success.

I'm done commenting on this thread.

Like it or not, it is still a choice to choose from, regardless of someone's opinion. As the OP noted ...

Part of me just wants something different but those proof barrels are pricey and I like to shoot! Sorry for beating a dead horse but mostly interested in real world experience with these cartridges. Thanks!

Last edited:
You know the 300 rum has it beat in 2 of those categories (3 out of 3 if you add a wyatt's). And I don't consider factory ammo for long distance shooting. Don't know any serious long distance shooter that does.

I know a lot of very serious long range shooters who shoot factory ammo including an awful lot of active duty guys. I know of training facilities that buy ABM ammo by the pallet for the facility and buy 6.5 Creedmoor ammo by the case for their personal guns. Then there's the long list of very competitive PRS shooters who're shooting factory ammo in their comp guns. I know of multiple very capable shooters who moved over to shooting the 6.5 PRC for their hunting guns just because they don't want to load ammo. They would have gone 300 PRC but they're recoil wimps and cant handle any of the magmum 30s. LOL

What I would really like to know is how you all are setting up your 300 win mags to get 3k with the 215 hybrids and what you all shooting the 30 nos are getting shooting the 215's over 3k as far as barrel life. Also if anyone is shooting the 30 nos with the 230 grain pills and what that is giving you velocity wise. I'm losing interest in the PRC as it seems geared to people that don't reload.

What I would really like to know is how you all are setting up your 300 win mags to get 3k with the 215 hybrids and what you all shooting the 30 nos are getting shooting the 215's over 3k as far as barrel life. Also if anyone is shooting the 30 nos with the 230 grain pills and what that is giving you velocity wise. I'm losing interest in the PRC as it seems geared to people that don't reload.
The 215 will probably do a sight more than 3150 in the 30 Nosler, but the 230 Berger has quite a long bearing surface to get there without major pressure. If I had to use something heavier than a 7mm, the 215 hybrid would be my bullet of choice in .30 caliber.

The only problem I see with the 30 nosler is the nosler brass holding you back. I don't care what anybody says, when major manufacturers firearms 2 that are somewhat high-end tell you that's normal to see pressure signs cuz the brass is so soft You know you have an issue. 3 of them have said it to me over the phone They paid for me to ship the guns back to make sure that it wasn't their product 30nos 26 nos and my favorite pain in the *** 28 nos.

Im going with the wyatt box, I think the one I ordered with accomadate a coal of 3.825. I'm gonna build a dummy round with the 215 set at the should neck junction, researching it looks like that will be around .225 freebore. Now to find someone with a reamer or buy/rent one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.