30-378 Wby Mag in Eastern Idaho

CSButler50

Wondering what scope mounts would be appropriate for my 30-378 Wby Accumark.

I have a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 scope with a 30 mm tube.

Mounted it with Talley one piece mounts - lapped, but have some concerns since
Talley said they thought this wouldn't last with the reverse recoil of the brake.

Any suggestions here also need to mount a level on it.

I have had troubles with Nightforce mounts on the larger mags. I stay with heavy duty all steel rings. Any of the "light" rings are either made of aluminum or thin steel. Aluminum expands and contracts easily and is very "elastic" compared to steel. Even if you go the 7000 series of aluminum.

Do not get caught up in name brands being the best. Sometimes they are not and you are paying for inadequate performance.

I always retorque my rings 3 days and 7 days after mounting. They most of the time they are loose. I believe this is due to the expanding and contraction of the metal due to temperature variances. Steel does not expand or contract as much as aluminum.

P.S. Ebay, offshore rings suck!

The problem might not come from your ring choice but from the torque requirments
with Vortex scopes. I had a factory rep tell me not to torque the ring screws to more
than 15 inch pounds on my sons scope. At 15 inch pounds the rings wont hold the scope from slipping on the 338x378 its mounted on. Neither will 20 pounds but 25 will. But then the adjustments cant be depended upon when you dial the scope.
Life is too short to be screwing around with these type issues.

CS, welcome to the forum. I've never had problems with rings on my 30/378. First had a 1" scope with the Talley one piece with no problems, now have Talley rail and 30mm rings with a Nikon Monarch. The recoil with the Wby brake is quite mild (I've shot it without the brake) and the rings have held with spec torque and lapped.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.