Newby in Idaho

Idgunner

Greetings,
I have a long history with a .222 and 30 years ago I had a 25-06 and loved it. After getting into bow hunting for 15 years or so I gave up hunting and recently decided to get back into predator hunting. Bought a Savage .223 last year and a Ruger M77 25-06 this year. I put a Burris C4 scope on both and love the combo. The .223 scope is calibrated for 55gr bullet drop (I realize it will be an average) and it is a blast to shoot out to 300 yards so far. I worked up a MOA bullet drop chart with an online ballistics calculator for the 25-06 and when I dial in the range off of the chart out to 400 so far it is spot on. Since I suck at estimating long ranges I bought a Leica 1000 rangefinder and plan to hunt coyotes with the .223 and Wolves with the 25-06.
I will be looking for advice on whether, or how to accurize the M77.
So far, I've enjoyed reading the threads here and look forward to participating.
Idaho.

Gunner, welcome to the forum. My son is a Ruger fanatic with 7 different calibers .223 to 30-06, all M77's. They all have wood stocks and are bedded and most shoot sub MOA @ 200 yds. His 25-06 heavy barrel is the most accurate. He shoots Bergers in all of them. Most will end up in the hands of his 3 boys. Hope you enjoy your Idaho hunting.

Dosh, Thanks for the reply and the info on the M77s. Ruger tells owners not to modify the rifles in anyway. They purposely put the stock in full contact with the rifle barrel which seems to go against conventional wisdom. I think I will float the barrel and bed the action and see what happens. The 25-06 I had 30 years ago was deadly. I took an antelope with it at 600 yards and then sold it buy another bow. Now I'm impressed with the capabilities of the Burris C4 scope on these rifles and look forward to lots of time in the field with both guns. Bud

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.