30-06 compressed loads

Another great powder is Ramshot Big Game,also a ball powder.It is just a tad faster on the burn rate,about .5gr less on the loads than Win 760,but both those powders give very good velocities in the 30-06 and yes,I use a magnum primer with these.

Hornadys generic powder data maximums may not work for all of Hornadys bullets.

Each may have a different maximum.

Drop tube for compressed loads. I avoid compressed powder charges.

I have started reloading for my sons 30-06 using hornady sst 150gn, rem brass and H4350. The hornady manual says the max for 4350 is 61.6 gns. I start getting compressed loads at 58 gns. How in the hell is 61.6 gns suposed to fit in the 30-06 case.
Not sure where to go from here, Drop down further and work up the where I run out of room in the case?? Help would greatly be appreciated on this.
On two occasions I tried compressed loads in the .270win. Both times I found that within 20 minutes that the overall case length had increased by 0.015 I don't crimp my bullets. That's the last compressed rounds I have ever loaded.

Maybe it's the brass thickness. In the 10th Hornady edition it says it's using Hornady brass for the 30/06 loads. But 2grs does seem like a lot of variance. Try lighter powder charge and work up slowly

I have started reloading for my sons 30-06 using hornady sst 150gn, rem brass and H4350. The hornady manual says the max for 4350 is 61.6 gns. I start getting compressed loads at 58 gns. How in the hell is 61.6 gns suposed to fit in the 30-06 case.
Not sure where to go from here, Drop down further and work up the where I run out of room in the case?? Help would greatly be appreciated on this.
staball 6.5 works awesome in the 06. about the same burn rate and denser and gives better speed.

Two thoughts come to mind. One, if you are compressing any bit at all then maybe their is a better powder out there for your load. Two, the -06 is awesome and messing around with 150gr is a waste of potential. The 165-180 bullets in the 06 give you better BC and sectional density and whatever you give up in MV is negligible. I spent better part of a year working with varied 165 &180 bullets using IMR & H 4350, W760, IMR 4831and R22. In the end H4350 using Sierra GK 180 and 165 gave me the best accuracy and velocity performance. Lost of bucks and several elk have succumbed to those loads from as close as 50y out to 380y. Best of luck finding a load.

Besides the options posted to settle powder volume you want, do you have to have that much?

Meaning, are you looking for a specific velocity or will slightly less powder (near or at compressed) work if you have the accuracy you want at a slightly slower velocity?

My '06 150gr loads are running about 2900 (pretty sure, memory... and with another powder) just in case my daughters want to shoot/hunt. I could go to the next node but this works well for white tails and targets.

Hope this helps

I read one time a warning from a powder mfgr against compressing their powder too much because the
shape of the granules would be crushed and the powder then would burn much faster. I cant remember whether it was the hollow tube or flake granules but it sounded scary. I dont reload enough to know but guys here must have a feel for what type/shape of powders offer the most potential for compression.... and the ones that dont compress very much at all. I would think the small round solid pellet powders would be the hardest to compress.

If you're using 150 gain bullets, consider trying H4895. I used one of the 4350s for all bullet weights I loaded for the .30-06 (150 -180 grains) for around fifty years. Several years ago, I tried H4895 with my favorite .30-06 bullet, the Barnes 150 TTSX BT. Accuracy was already good with H4350, but it improved slightly with H4895 and velocity was only a little less than what I was getting with a full (maybe compressed, I don't remember) charge of one of the 4350s. However, H4895 is a little too fast for bullets heavier than 150 grains in the .30-06 if you want the highest velocity.

After "fooling" around with drop tubes for years, experimenting showed the drop tubes do allow more powder to get in there....but, it is because it is going in slower and the powder kernels have more time to "fit" themselves in instead of "bridging".
Just by adding powder at a slower rate will accomplish everything the drop tube does IMHO.....with less hastle....vibrating and tapping simultaneously will allow more yet.

My Hornady 9th edition lists 60.5 grains of 4350 for the 30-06. One of my most accurate, compressed loads, using 180 grain bullets is with 61 grains of 4831 that is a compressed load. Usually I will drop the powder into the funnel and then tap the outside of the case with a dowel or a pencil until the powder drops below the mouth of the casing and then seat the bullet. Is it a PITA yup, but...at the time we could buy 4831 in wax bags for a $1.00 a pound. It takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it you'll get the powder into the case. I really like the idea about using an electric toothbrush, have to try that one. Take a look at Alliant RL-15 and RL-17 and Winchester 760 powder for the 150s in the 06, that powder ought to work better for you.