Compressed Loads A4350 .30 06

General RE LEE

Loaded up some .30 06 with Accurate 4350 last night and Nosler 168 gn ABLR. Western Powders has a Max load of 60.5 grains for 168 grain Nosler HPBT in the load data.

I loaded 58.5, 59, 59.5, 60 and 60.5 grains and they are all compressed except the 58.5 grain load. Western Powder load data shows "C" so they are listing compressed loads.

What do I need to know about compressed loads? Couldn't find anything in my Hornady manual edition X.

I may be the exception but in my 40-plus years of reloading I have never found a crunchy compressed load to be the most
accurate or consistent in any of my guns. I have always been able to find a better load with a little faster powder. I usually avoid those with a "c" next to them but when 8133 came out I tried some crunchy loads in my 7mag and agin was not impressed.

Loaded up some .30 06 with Accurate 4350 last night and Nosler 168 gn ABLR. Western Powders has a Max load of 60.5 grains for 168 grain Nosler HPBT in the load data.

I loaded 58.5, 59, 59.5, 60 and 60.5 grains and they are all compressed except the 58.5 grain load. Western Powder load data shows "C" so they are listing compressed loads.

What do I need to know about compressed loads? Couldn't find anything in my Hornady manual edition X.
Check OALs before you hit the range, load three in magazine when you shoot your loads. Measure the OALs after firing. Obviously you should have no change, if you do then check neck tension. Winchester brass has "thinner" necks than Remington, PPU or S&B.

I shoot 60.0grs of H4350 and 150 FB Hornady Interlocks in one of my '06s and crunch with no issues. Hope it works out for you.. 👍🇺🇲

I've tested heavily compressed loads in the past and found mediocre accuracy at best. Ive also found compressing ball powders caused it to bond into clumps after sitting compressed. Learned this after pulling a few of the bullets and never again compressed ball powder. I agree, you'll likely find much more accurate loads with a faster powder. Let us know what you find. Knowledge gained and not shared is a loss to all

This is certainly "NOT" a recommendation! I once had a load that was compressed to the point at which....seating the bullet rapidly would bulge the case!

Many loading manuals have some loads indicating a compressed load! I think it has many variables.....powder type, cartridge case design, chamber pressures, perhaps ambient temperatures,

If the load manual is showing compressed loads for your specific load....I wouldn't be concerned. Unless, you substantially increase beyond their "tested" loads! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.