30-06 and 168 Berger VLD

mrbofus

Anyone using this combo for hunting?
I have never used the Bergers in the 06 but this seems like a good match.
Mainly for Deer and Elk.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

i have used many of the 165 and 168 grain bullets. sierra 165 bstsp, bthp. hornady 165 btsp. 165 nosler partition. 167 lapua scenar, 165 and 168 cbt and 168 berger. varget, I4064 , H/I 4350. are powders i have used.

For me the 168 gr Hybrids are the best 168gr 30cal bullet
here is some powders all near max load out of older Rem 700 BDL 22" barrel, nut behind bolt was a little loose, Iam recoil shy
hope it helps you

Ive had success with hornady 168 HPBT out of my 30-06.

58 grains IMR 4350, shoots 2800 FPS out of a 22 inch factory barrel. for low extreme spread (less then 20 FPS)

As always work up in charge, berger will be my next bullet, only 190 VLD.

168 Bergers and '06 are a deadly combination. Both my '06 shoot bug holes with 51 grains Varget and Win brass.

Ive had success with hornady 168 HPBT out of my 30-06.

58 grains IMR 4350, shoots 2800 FPS out of a 22 inch factory barrel. for low extreme spread (less then 20 FPS)

As always work up in charge, berger will be my next bullet, only 190 VLD.

Idaho Hunter
I would pass on the VLDs very few shooters in F class use VLD bullets anymore the most accurate now that I have seen are the 200 gr hybrids I don,t think you will be disappointed.
manitou

The 168gr VLD has been an excellent choice for hunting in a 30-06. One thing to keep in mind with the VLD design, is that they can be a bit sensitive to seating depth and to achieve the best accuracy the bullet may need to be set out further than standard magazine length. If you want to feed your rifle from a magazine capacity, another option to look at is the Classic Hunter. These bullets were specifically designed to be shot from a "factory" rifle at SAAMI spec lengths.

If i can find the hybrids i will go with them, but they are very hard to come by in this area, mostly just 190's.

people tend to hoard the berger bullets around here!

I wish hornady would come out with a hunting bullet close in BC to their 208 AMAX.

If i can find the hybrids i will go with them, but they are very hard to come by in this area, mostly just 190's.

people tend to hoard the berger bullets around here!

I wish hornady would come out with a hunting bullet close in BC to their 208 AMAX.

I would stay away from A-max I have found plastic tips are not best for longrange shooting I have never seen anyone winning in F class use them, I would try the Hornady Match HPBT 208gr with BC of 620 your giving up 28 points on BC but its a better bullet. Friend is having great success shooting the 195 gr HPBT Match from Hornady

I use the 168g and 190g Berger VLDs out of my .30-06AI and they shoot amazingly well. I have yet to take any game with the 190s, but the 168grns have accounted for 5 Muley bucks and 4 cow elk. They are by far the most accurate bullet out of my rifle with a 165g Sierra Gameking being second.

I, as the others have stated, have noticed that the bullet is definitely sensitive to seating depth, however your magazine has plenty of room to seat them out. Seat them just off of the lands and you'll be right where you need to be.

I use H4350 out of my rifle and I get top velocities, 3125fps with the 168g and 2900fps with the 190g from a 26" Barrel.

I'm switching to the 190g because they drift less with wind and have more retained energy past 600yds. Both shoot 1 hole groups at 100yds.

Hope this is helpful,

Dano

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.