30-06 165gr best bang for buck

Blaketh

I hope i am not beating a dead horse here but i am in search of a commercially available 165gr 30-06 round to hunt with. Looking for fastest fps, highest bc and sd to shoot the flattest but, I dont want the meat destroyed either. It will be mainly for deer up to about 350 yards but i want to be versed with the round enough to shoot a hog or Elk if i wver get the chance. So far i looked at a scirocco ii 165gr but only fiochi makes that commercial round and its only 2800 fps. Hornady has a superformance sst 165gr at 2960 fps and a bc of .0447 g1 bc. I like hornady but didnt know of that was the best found for the job like comparing it to a gmx? I chose 165gr because it is in between the 180gr and 150gr, split the difference you know? Any help is appreciated.

No one will be able to tell you which factory round will shoot the best in your rifle. At the yardage you are talking about I would not be to concerned about bc's either. Even the good ole round nose will work at what you are talking about. I will say that some 06's do not like the 160ish weight bullets. You can buy a box of several brands and see what your rifle likes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.