3 Shot 300 Win Mag

DHegy

I think I have found the load I am going to work with. This is the best of the 3 groups with this load. The others measured .291 & .318. My questions is I don't have access to a chrono, does anyone have an idea of what the velocity for the round would be? 180 Grain Accubond, 78.2 grains of Reloader 22, 1:10 twist, 24 inch barrel. Forgot to mention, the group is at 200 yards.

Real happy with the results, just curious if I need to speed it up to go out to 1000 yards. BTW- 78.5 grains bolt lift gets a little heavy.

Thanks,
Duane

dd9_DSCF0971.JPG

300 Eclipse
If it were me I wouldn't worry about how fast they're going I'd just make out a drop chart for how far you want to shoot and knock em dead. Darn fine shooting.

Nosler lists 3118fps with a 75.5 gr max of Re22 out of a 24" barrel for their partition. I believe thats the same data Nosler recomends using for the Accubond. I'm not sure what another 2.7 grs of powder will do but at least you get a rough idea where you might be.
Hope some of that helps.
Chris

Sweet group!!
I would think with that heavy load of powder that it is going somewhere in the neighborhood of 3200fps....but who cares with a group like that at 200 yards!

I have a Browning 300 win mag with a 24" barrel also. I have shot about 1,060 180 grain ballistic tips through it and recently about 250 180 grain Accubonds. All were propelled by 75.5 grains of RL22, Fed 215 primer, and a Frontier (hornady) case. I have tested them on everything from prairie dogs to big horns to elk. I have also religiously practiced with it on the old gong at 1000 yards plus with great precision. Out of all those rounds, I have bought about 8 different lots of RL22, and have chronoed each one. My gun always liked the 75.5 grain load the best, but velocity varied greatly from lot to lot. One lot sent that 180 out at 3245 with 1/2" accuracy at 100 yards. My current lot shot at 3047 average last Friday. Standard deviation on all lots never went more than 15 with sd's of 6 or 7 being more normal. I would suspect that your load is probably well above 3200 with 3300 not being out of the question. Watch those pressures carefully!! It sounds like your on the ragged edge of max.
You asked if that load would be good at 1000 yards. The only way to have a consistent 1000 yard shooter is to get that standard deviation down to at least 10, and have groups like yours. So, you are half way there. But without a chrono, you are just going to have to go try groups at 1000 on a calm day so you can get a good reading of the load. Sometimes, I have had bullets shoot great out to 300 yards, and then go to hell at 1000. I have also had bullets shoot so so at 300, and then lay 'em all into the same divet at 1000. You never can tell until you put them to the test.
As for your velocity being adequate, you bet it will work! That same bullet launched out of a gun with 400 fps less velocity will do it.
My advice is to enjoy that beauty while she's still young. After 1300 rounds through mine, a new barrel will probably be on the way next year!
--good shooting! --goodgrouper

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.