2nd hunt for Mule Deer in New Mexico

Korhil78

Well, I will be off for my mule deer hunt in New Mexico starting tomorrow. I drew the 2nd hunt so they have already been pressured. I will have to do a lot of hiking to find them but I know the areas pretty well. I will be using a 25-06 topped with 115 gr Berger. I will post the results WHEN I am successful :rolleyes:! First time using the Bergers, so I am interested to see how they do on game.

Day 1:

Nice morning, no wind and I got up on top of a large hill to glass the flats. I immediately spotted a buck but it was too far to tell if it was a good one. It was raking its antlers into a bush so I couldn't get a good look at the rack. I THOUGHT that the buck bedded down right there so I was glad. I saw a hill about 200 yds to the left and tried to sneak up on top of it. I got to the top and got set up prone for a shot when he stood up. 20 mins later, I started to think maybe something fishy was up. I decided to walk over with gun ready and turns out that he wasn't even there! He out sneaked me!

The afternoon was much uglier. 20 to 30 mph winds and no deer moving. We hiked all over and glassed on the side of the hills that the wind was not blowing but no luck.

Day 2:

Horrible day for hunting! Rain and wind put a damper on the hunting. We have three more days for the hunt so we are still positive. We found a good spot for deer to funnel through to some fields so we are going to set up there in the morning.

Day 3:

Very nice day weather wise but we didn't see any bucks all day. We went into a mountain range called the Three Sisters because of the three peaks. Looked like very good terrain for mule deer to be in but we never saw any. Tomorrow is the last day for me to hunt so hopefully I will see a legal buck.

Day 4:

No buck for me this year. I came down with a cold and decided not to hunt this last day. I needed to get well to be at work the next day. Oh well, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I had my chance on the first day but he just out smarted me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.