New Mexico Mule Deer

Lahunter76

Ok! My father and I have decided that we could make a 11-12hour drive to South East NM, units 31, 32, 33 are the units we are eye balling. I have never went out "west" and hunted and my father now 56 hunted elk in NW Colorado back in 92. We would be looking for the thanksgiving break time. I believe NM is a draw only for non-residents. We live in NE Louisiana so we were wanting to be able to drive to our destination in one sitting and hunt... it will be a DIY public land gun hunt. We plan on putting in for the coming year and each year after.
What I am looking for is, does anyone have any info for potential novice NM hunters and or any info about the Southeastern part of NM, I believe it's the sand hills region.
Thanks

Check with the game and fish for info. I have found in other states that are long distance hunts that my research starts with the biologist and game warden for that area. Usually their contact info is on the websites

Thanks

Buck

Those are desert units mainly flat country with mesquite and sand dunes depending which unit your in. Hunting in those units can be Tuff, since it's still can be warm when the hunts happen. The deer are pocketed and not wide spread and not high population numbers due to the desert climate. I wouldnt come out with great expectations it usually take time to learn and figure out how and where to hunt. It's not a trophy hunt, just a deer hunt. Some nice bucks get killed out of those units but they are few and far between and mainly come off of private. I hate to say it but there are a bunch of better states to hunt mule deer and I would look elsewhere if I was coming from that far. NM isn't known for our deer, elk is another story. Not to discourage but I know guys that know the area well and can't find a shooter buck during the season. But if you just want to come hunt, it's not a bad place. If you draw I can help with more
precise info on your unit

Thanks so so much! Yes I agree there are better places but with the dates and distance this is a good spot for us, it will be as much something my dad and I can enjoy together!

Myself and 3 old college buddies drew Unit 32 back in 2018. We had intel on the area west of Artesia and north of Hope. As Plinker147 has said, its hard, dry country and not many animals. We did the DIY thing too and we had a good time, but only trigger pulled on the entire trip was by me shooting a coyote. We could have shot a truck load of Doe Mulies, but never saw a forked horn buck, and only saw 2 spike bucks.

We had planned on getting as far back in the area as possible to set up camp so we would have the area to ourselves. Even went out a day and half early to get camp set up and do a full day of scouting. Opening morning I was sitting in mesquite bush on side of a hill that had a a game trial with signs of heavy use about 300 yards below me. I got there about an hour before sunrise. Sun comes up and there are 4 people about 100 yards above me on the hill. They came in after I got settled. Midday we head back to camp for lunch and pass 3 new camps within a half mile of our camp. So much for be back away from everybody!!!! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.