2nd Bull with my Sendero

7MMColoHunter

This bull I took in 2006. Again it was the second afternoon of the hunt and we were running late. We made it down into where we start walking into the area we hunt around 3:30pm. The elk I was after was around 6 miles in and I had very little time. I left my pack and only took my rifle, bullets and knife. I took off at a very steady and fast pace.

When I made it down to where I last knew the elk were I took off my coat and started waiting. About 10 minutes after sitting there I heard a bugle quite a ways off. I grabbed my rifle and headed further down. I went about another 1/4 to 1/2 mile down and noticed a bull out in a huge meadow feeding. I pulled up the rifle and saw he was a cool 5x5 with his left antler growing straight out to the side of his head. I kept moving to try and get closer, crossing another decent clearing, to get to the last bunch of cedars before I could not get any closer.

After getting into the cedars I moved to the last big cedar and set up the rifle on the bipods and started to look the elk over. There were four more 5x5's out in this huge meadow. I watched them for some time as they still were acting big and bad with each other and proving there dominance. Then some cows and calfs started coming out into the meadow and I caught a glimpse of another bull. Out comes a bigger 5x5 that would gross around 250 and I started to get a little more excited. I kept watching all the elk coming out and then I noticed a huge polished tine and then he walked out.

The bull I had been looking for all of my life. When he came out he was walking straight at me. His huge body and antlers rocking side to side. Then it happened, I started shaking and losing my breath. I had never ever had this happen to me in my entire hunting career. I could not keep the crosshairs on him and I still could not breath. I got up and walked away from rifle and tried to compose myself. I got back in the rifle and it started happening again. I did this two more times. I got back in the rifle and put the crosshairs behind his shoulder and then started second guessing myself on how far away he was (the rangefinder was in my pack) and put the crosshair right on top of his back and sqouze the trigger. I did not hear that wonderful "WOP' and he spun around and moved about 5 yards. I pulled the crosshairs down and sqouze the trigger again and this time it was true. I could see the blood trickling down his side just behind the shoulder and I wasn't going to take the chance of him going any further. I went ahead and shot him four more times behind the shoulder before he fell over. This was a dream 22 years in the making in the OTC unit we have hunted in since we could hunt. I went down later and ranged it at 419 yards.

When I walked up on this amazing bull a flood of emotions went through me I can not even explain. :D A true hunt of a lifetime!

EarlyElkRifleSeason004.jpg

058.jpg

Wow - great story. Sounds as though you might need a sports psychologist to hunt with you ;)

How about some pics and specs on the rifle!

Great story, I could see a little of myself in that one, Great bull. I love the G-3's and G-4's. What did he score out at?

Thanks much guys! :)

winmag,

Busted up he grosses 354 6/8. If he was all there he would gross just over 370.

trebark,

The rifle is a 7MM RUM Remington Sendero. Its topped with a Burris Black Diamond 4-16 x 50 mm. I was handloading then the 139 gr SST Interlocks with 92.0 grains of IMR7828 cronographed at 3615 fps.

019.jpg

Last edited:
That bull is incredible! Those thirds are just off the chart!! I'd have been shaking like a leaf too. Truly a bull of a lifetime, congratulations!

Great buck!!! Congrats.
Enjoyed the story very much. I guess that is intense buck fever what you had, but the important thing is that you made the shot and now you can see him every day on your wall. I get buck fever too. I guess we all do one time or another.
Nice rig also.

Really- Really Nice Bull! Nobody can ever take the accomplishment away.
Enjoyed the story also. Sometimes its easier when it just happens quick and you just act on instinct without having time to get bull fever.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.