.284 Win Match chamber reamer

TBerkhouse

Do any of you have a .284 Win MATCH (PT&G print #39898 with a .319 neck) chamber reamer you would sell or rent to me? PT&G is 6-8 weeks out for one, and I would prefer not to wait that long.

You don't want that neck diameter anyways. For 6.5x284 lapua brass necked up and not neck turned you want .317 neck with .220-.240 freebore for the 180 hybrids. As far as ptg forget them. Go with JGS and don't look back. I got rid of all my PTG reamers and won't even use a customer supplied one. JGS reamers leave a finish that is far superior to PTG. I have quite a few different 284 reamers from JGS but will not rent them out. They have set numerous records and won countless championships. JGS is 6 weeks out but the wait is worth it. If you need something chambered in a hurry I might be able to squeeze you into my schedule depending on what action your using.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com
563-586-2000

Last edited:
You don't want that neck diameter anyways. For 6.5x284 lapua brass necked up and not neck turned you want .317 neck with .220-.240 freebore for the 180 hybrids. As far as ptg forget them. Go with JGS and don't look back. I got rid of all my PTG reamers and won't even use a customer supplied one. JGS reamers leave a finish that is far superior to PTG. I have quite a few different 284 reamers from JGS but will not rent them out. They have set numerous records and won countless championships. JGS is 6 weeks out but the wait is worth it. If you need something chambered in a hurry I might be able to squeeze you into my schedule depending on what action your using.

You truly never miss an opportunity to bash PTG.

Obviously you haven't used a JGS reamer then. Look at the pics that shawn at straight shooter took of the ptg and a jgs under a microscope. the cutting edge on the ptg looked like a hacksaw blade. JGS was beautiful. Which do you want cutting the throat in your barrel. If you want to use subpar tools for a custom rifle go ahead. However I won't and the results speak for themselves, Piercision Rifles - Results

My customers have had 14 1st&2nd place finishes at national, regional and state championships this year alone. They have also broken or tied 4 nationals records so far this year also. That's just this year alone and not counting the last couple years which have countless more.

If you were me you would bash them also. I returned over a grand in stuff to them and it took them almost 6 months to refund my credit card. I called them over a dozen times and got the same answer that they will process/refund it that day and they never did. I finally had to call up and act like an *******. It was refunded 5 minutes later. That's beyond **** poor customer service.

Oh ya and then they had the balls to charge me a 200 dollar restocking fee after having my money for almost 6 months.

Sorry that happened to you. I agree it can get frustrating working with customer service from some companies. I don't believe if I was in your shoes that I would bash them though. I have never been a fan of bashing companies on the internet. I think if you have a problem with someone, call them and talk to them over the phone. If you don't like how it was resolved, get over it and find a new company to deal with.

Just my opinion.

I'm the same as Ryan, PTG can suck it, I normally would say bashing a company publicly over one issue is not cool but PTG has a wide spread reputation for sucking then sticking it to you, when it comes to PTG many, many experienced smiths will let everyone know to deal with them at their own risk, I would feel bad for a guy ordering parts from them and getting Kiffed if they were not warned. Beside, no way are you getting a reamer that is actually the specs you want anyway from PTG.

Last edited:
Bigngreen is correct. I'm not the only person that terrible customer service has happened to from them. I could tell you horror stories but won't as that would start a several page thread. They are the only company I will publicly be negative on. I feel they deserve it after the way they treated me. The only thing I buy from them is little things and thats if everywhere else is out of stock. The OP asked for advice and I gave it to him.

PTG tools,,,,,, they'd fit right in with "Made in China". THE very last place I'd order a reamer from. Every one of the 6 reamers of theirs I've had, have been nothing but trouble. Either they spec wrong or they jusy plain won't cut. I own over 80 chambering reamers, the majority being JGS or Manson. PT&G tools have no place in my tool storge. And no, I don't rent reamers, either...........

At Dave Mansons' shop they usually have a good selection of SAAMI spec reamers on the shelf. Never seems to take the shop very long to 'fix' the neck on one of those. One, maybe two weeks. Always been good folks to deal with, and have honest delivery estimates.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.