284 Ackley questions

FlyFishGal505

Hello everyone,
I need help from ya'll with a gun that my father left me. I think it is a Mauser but there is nothing indicating a brand of any kind. It sure looks like Mausers I see online. It has ".284 ackley" stamped on the barrel and a couple of serial numbers on it, but nothing else. I found some reloading dies that my dad had labeled for this gun but they are 7mm and 7x57mm dies. I also found some cartridges labeled "to be fire formed". I understand that this is a way of re-shaping a cartridge to fit a slightly different caliber. Is this what they refer to as a "wildcat" bullet? Can 7mm bullets be made to work in the .284 ackley? I took it to a gun shop and they informed me that this caliber is "dead" and they were not interested in the gun in any way. I refuse to believe that this beautiful gun is worthless, so I need folks who really know their stuff to give me some advice. Help!

Hello everyone,
I need help from ya'll with a gun that my father left me. I think it is a Mauser but there is nothing indicating a brand of any kind. It sure looks like Mausers I see online. It has ".284 ackley" stamped on the barrel and a couple of serial numbers on it, but nothing else. I found some reloading dies that my dad had labeled for this gun but they are 7mm and 7x57mm dies. I also found some cartridges labeled "to be fire formed". I understand that this is a way of re-shaping a cartridge to fit a slightly different caliber. Is this what they refer to as a "wildcat" bullet? Can 7mm bullets be made to work in the .284 ackley? I took it to a gun shop and they informed me that this caliber is "dead" and they were not interested in the gun in any way. I refuse to believe that this beautiful gun is worthless, so I need folks who really know their stuff to give me some advice. Help!

Cast the chamber don't mess around with trying to shoot it until you know for sure.

7 x 57mm and the .284 (Winchester) are 2 different cartridges. Both use the common .284"/7mm diameter bullets. The best way to determine what the chambering is, is to have the chamber cast, so the casting can be measured. Any real "gunsmith" should be able to do this for you at a minimal cost. Be safe, don't guess! Most gun shop owners aren't gunsmiths. Most seem to think they know more than they actually do.

If it is a 284 ackley what do I do? If no ammo is available can it be reloaded?

I looked through 3 of PO Ackley reloading books I couldn't find nothing on a .284 Win AI so "if" that's what it is, it's a wildcat AI which you'd have to reload for it. Using the dies you have to firer forming .284 Win brass. Again make sure you have the rifle's chamber cast by a competent gunsmith before you chamber a round of anything. I should have added this; personally I think it's going to turn out to be a 7x57mm AI or .280 Rem AI just a feeling as I read your question.

Last edited:
morning, the 284AI is a very good round, just as the
6.5x284. the ackley improved is a fireformed cartridge.
take the rifle to a good smithy. cast the chamber.
as for as the mauser action. what kind, what year.
ask the smithy. as for as fireforming the cartridges.
there people who reload at a price. again a very good
round. justme gbot tum

morning, the 284AI is a very good round, just as the
6.5x284. the ackley improved is a fireformed cartridge.
take the rifle to a good smithy. cast the chamber.
as for as the mauser action. what kind, what year.
ask the smithy. as for as fireforming the cartridges.
there people who reload at a price. again a very good
round. justme gbot tum

I would agree, the .284 Win just as it stands is a great cartridge. The .284 Win Improved 'aka' Ackley version would just add to the .284's case performance for sure. The .284 Win case adds a lot too, or at least little performance to almost any caliber I can think of within reason. I used a .30-284 Win for LR matches many times over the years. I've also used .284 Win brass for match quality loads for my 7.5x55 Swede it works great. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the 7mmx55 Swede Improved is near-identical in all respect to the .284 Win improved AI

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.