284 Ackley questions

Definitely have the chamber and dies cast but my bet is that since the 284 AI is a wildcat that what the gunsmith did was use a set of 7x57 dies and recut them with a 284 AI reamer when the rifle was chambered. A 284 reamer will clean up a 7x57 chamber or in this case the dies and the only thing that would be off is neck length as the 284 case is 54 mm in length and the 7x57 is 57 mm. For a set of dies that neck length wouldn't matter. Definitely get it checked but I'd be willing to bet that's what you find out.

Hello everyone,
I need help from ya'll with a gun that my father left me. I think it is a Mauser but there is nothing indicating a brand of any kind. It sure looks like Mausers I see online. It has ".284 ackley" stamped on the barrel and a couple of serial numbers on it, but nothing else. I found some reloading dies that my dad had labeled for this gun but they are 7mm and 7x57mm dies. I also found some cartridges labeled "to be fire formed". I understand that this is a way of re-shaping a cartridge to fit a slightly different caliber. Is this what they refer to as a "wildcat" bullet? Can 7mm bullets be made to work in the .284 ackley? I took it to a gun shop and they informed me that this caliber is "dead" and they were not interested in the gun in any way. I refuse to believe that this beautiful gun is worthless, so I need folks who really know their stuff to give me some advice. Help!

I'm little late. I shoot 284 on long action with 27" lilja barrel and I have same barrel on my 280AI. I can do 3000fps with 160gr in my 284 and I can seat out to almost 3.300". Some of the F-Class 284 with 32" barrels are doing 2900 plus with 180gr.

284 is normally done short action as loaded length is 2.800" +/- depend on bullet used. I can see why things was said about it's older military action/barrel been redone. You can see ring marks on barrel just ahead where 284AI stamped. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I would do little more than take chamber cast. I'd try find out if barrel been turn down.

I can see why things was said about it's older military action/barrel been redone. You can see ring marks on barrel just ahead where 284AI stamped. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I would do little more than take chamber cast. I'd try find out if barrel been turn down.
Again it's all guesses on our part but having looked at a few 7x57 mausers and knowing a few guys that have turned them into 284's, your rifle may have the original barrel that was set back and then rechambered and the contour turned down near the chamber. I've even heard of guys not setting them back when going to 284 and just allowing the slightly longer neck area of the chamber basically causing a longer free bore before the lead begins.

Again it's all guesses on our part but having looked at a few 7x57 mausers and knowing a few guys that have turned them into 284's, your rifle may have the original barrel that was set back and then rechambered and the contour turned down near the chamber. I've even heard of guys not setting them back when going to 284 and just allowing the slightly longer neck area of the chamber basically causing a longer free bore before the lead begins.

My first AI was 7x57AI and I had barrel set back. I also have wildcat 280AI,35 WhelenAI,243AI and 222AI. I do know little bit about AI's and not questioning 284AI. My comment was about ring marks on that barrel which seems out of place looking at entire rifle.

My first AI was 7x57AI and I had barrel set back. I also have wildcat 280AI,35 WhelenAI,243AI and 222AI. I do know little bit about AI's and not questioning 284AI. My comment was about ring marks on that barrel which seems out of place looking at entire rifle.
I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was agreeing that the barrel looks like it was likely turned down. Just saying they may have rechambered the factory 7x57 to 284AI and turned it down. Looks like they possibly just removed the flat cylinder section that the factory Mauser barrels have to give it a smoother more flowing look as compared to the sharper cylinder contour of the factory Mauser barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.