.280AI - talk me out of it

I have a Kimber Classic Select in .280 AI I am absolutely in love with it, just flat out shoots, easy to carry, will way more than kill elk, mild recoil and muzzle blast. God, Country, Family, .280 AI

So you are happy with yours then it sounds like. Everyone I have asked about Kimbers - has told me to steer clear of them. nothing but problems.

My PacNor 9 twist 3 groove barrel is 26 inches long, the COAL or I should say BTO for base-to-ogive, is 2.791" which amounts to SAAMI plus 0.200" (that is a 0.010" jump to the lands, and fits the magazine box), the fired cases show headspace +.008" over virgin, and the load is 63.5 (the maximum listed charge in the manual is 63.0) grains of Retumbo lit by CCI BR2 primers. From break in to now I've gained some velocity. I had set aside some rounds of 63.0 gr in virgin cases for comparison, and the before/after averages are 2960/2973 after some 200 rounds, a modest but definite gain as the barrel seasoned. The 63.0 grain load in once-fired and partially resized cases ran 2992fps, the 63.5 grain load in partially resized case chrono's 3024fps. My chrono has always been a little optimistic, when I get to the long range again for trajectory validation I expect the corrected value to drop to near or just a hair over 3000. I have no ejector marks or primer indicators on the brass, but as always, this is my load in my rifle and anyone trying this should start low and work up- just like I did. My starting load was 59.5grains, and I advanced in half-grain increments, checking each case as it came out of the chamber. I should add that I am as surprised (and delighted) with this outcome as the rest of you. I built this 280AI expecting to run about 100 to 125 fps LESS than my old 7 Rem Mag which was 3040fps (and had the same spec barrel from the same maker). Sometimes you get lucky.

Hey there, I came across this old post of yours. I have never shot 7mm rm or 280 AI and I am really interested in the 7mm bullet for lr hunting (Possible elk) as well as shooting targets. For some crazy reason I am really intrigued with the 280AI due to its inherent accuracy efficiency and supposed I heard the 280AI is much less finicky accuracy-wise with loads compared to the 7mm rm. Did you find that to be true? I don't know the weight comparison from your old 7mm rm to the 280 AI, but was curious is the recoil the same or less with the 280 AI? I also heard there are feeding issues with the 280 AI? you still loving your 280 AI? Your rifle sounds awesome

Thanks! Mike

I was a die hard 300 Weatherby guy, now I shoot a Gunwerks RevX in 7mm Remington Magnum and like it a lot, I shot an elk in Colorado last year at 489 yards which is a long poke for this Jersey guy (I did shoot 800 rounds on the range last year). That said, I bought a Legendary Arms Works Professional in 280 AI and like it a lot. Shoots Hornady 162 ELD-X's in tiny groups and doesn't kick due to the brake. The RevX is heavy with the 5-25 ATACR and is not a carry rifle, the 280 AI is. Unfortunately, the 300 Weatherby sits in the safe. One thing I have to say, when an elk or deer gets hit with a 300 Weatherby the results are dramatic. Good luck.

I am still loving my 280 acks. One of them will go to montana with me this elk season. Both of mine are built for comfort not speed at 12.5 lbs and have brakes so recoil is very light, say between 223 and 243 levels. No feeding problems from savage centerfeed magazines.

I've built several 280AI rifles and is the caliber/rifle I grab when I go hunting.

My custom 280 AI is built on a Husqvarna HVA Action
24" SS Benchmark #1 contour 1-9 twist barrel
Timney Trigger
Wildcat Stock

Deadly accurate with factory ammo or handloads, reasonable recoil
Build the 280AI you'll be very happy

Ok now I'm going throw you another option. Check out the 280 Sherman. It will put do the 280ai based off the 280 or 270 win brass will push a 180 to 3000-3050 better case design then the 280 Sherman is claimed. It looks very promising to me I'm considering this one and a 280ai was my first thoughts. It is right there with the 7 remmag almost.

Love my 280 AI......just under 3000 fps with 168 VLDs and very accurate.

BBFF29BA-FB6F-4FBA-BAC8-F62EE3464CA8.jpeg

E9EE795D-3CC3-41B0-8A29-CB78EE464089.jpeg

Last edited:
OR..you could stick with the .308 for deer/antelope and build a 35 Whelen (or buy a Mod 750 or Mod 7600) or do a 338/06. No magnum blast/recoil, and rifles can be much handier. As far as elk go...I'm one of those that feel a 30-06 with a 200NP is as much elk gun as the 7mm Rem Mag is, and more suitable for the elk woods in a handier package. But...no flies on a 280AI. I think far more hunters chase deer than elk...so that can be a big determining factor....have a ball though! :)

Hey there, I came across this old post of yours. I have never shot 7mm rm or 280 AI and I am really interested in the 7mm bullet for lr hunting (Possible elk) as well as shooting targets. For some crazy reason I am really intrigued with the 280AI due to its inherent accuracy efficiency and supposed I heard the 280AI is much less finicky accuracy-wise with loads compared to the 7mm rm. Did you find that to be true? I don't know the weight comparison from your old 7mm rm to the 280 AI, but was curious is the recoil the same or less with the 280 AI? I also heard there are feeding issues with the 280 AI? you still loving your 280 AI? Your rifle sounds awesome

Thanks! Mike
There is no more inherent accuracy to the .280 AI than any other round, that's just marketing hype.

Any modern round discussed here is capable of incredible accuracy in the right platform and right hands.

Next to the 300wm the 7mm RM is probably the best overall do everything round ever invented and the .280 AI gets you very nearly to the same ballistics.

Between the two I'd stick with the RM but if you just want something "special" and different the .280 AI is a good choice.

As for Elk and Moose, with the right bullet put in the right place the 7's are more than adequate for all but the thickest bodied and most dangerous game where bigger and heavier gives you a decided advantage.

Thousands and thousands of Moose and Elk with be killed with 7mm bullets every year.

Mudrunner is probably the biggest proponent of and most knowledgeable guy I've ever run across on the subject of the .280 AI. If you're dead serious about one drop him a line and pick his brain.

Between the two I'd stick with the 7mm RM but we're only talking about 50-150fps difference depending on the bullet and load.

The elk won't know the difference.

I'll add not to forget that first half of your wish list will probably account for 90 percent of your kills. <100 yards means some 24-26" stick better suited to pole vaulting than hunting in the woods is just plain unhandy let alone functional. Also check how far 500 yards is when that one and only elk you see every few years and be honest with yourself. Can you deliver a perfect hit? And a good follow up? I had to pass on two bulls at 700. Wind, snow, brush and angle were against even a 50 cal. Yes, my .280 AI has a 22" barrel and I use 150 ttsx for closer work and 150 ablr's for canyons. I love it.

I just want to add...personally I Love the 280 AI, used one for several years and the Speer 160 HC was one elk killing demon! But your OP said 'talk you out of it"...so I tried. ha :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.