280 Remington mod/build

I'm definitely interested in using your cartridge and I'd like to know more. Those velocities are impressive. What powder were you using?

I was using RL26. The Sherman is basically an A.I. on steroids. It has less taper and the shoulder is moved forward a bit besides. It still has about a .312" neck though....Rich

If it'll push Berger 180s to 3100 fps, then i'm guessing it'll push the Berger EOL 195 to 2950-3000. I bet this super low drag bullet in the Sherman would be an amazing elk round. Do you foresee any problems with this cartridge/bullet combo?

If it'll push Berger 180s to 3100 fps, then i'm guessing it'll push the Berger EOL 195 to 2950-3000. I bet this super low drag bullet in the Sherman would be an amazing elk round. Do you foresee any problems with this cartridge/bullet combo?

Not really! It might require a little more twist is all.

According to Frank at Bartlein barrels, 8.25 twist is the magic number for the EOL 195.
7mm 195gr Berger is OUT! - 1 - SnipersHide.com Forums - Scout

Elkaholic, thanks for all the info, I think you've convinced me to get my barrel chambered in 280 Sherman. I just have 3 more questions:

-Since you have even less case taper than the AI and use 40 degree shoulders, do you have any issues with feeding from a magazine -even just occasionally?

-With the .312 neck length, what kind of accuracy are you getting with the Berger 180s?

-What length barrel were you using to get 3100 with the 180s? I'm planning on using this rifle for hunting primarily and don't want to lug a 30" heavy barrel around in the field :rolleyes:

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for sharing. Really excited about this build!

Stick with the 180's and if you can get a schnieder barrel you will love it. They are the best button barrel made imho They have had the Marine contract for a very long time. They were also the barrel on the tubb T2k.

According to Frank at Bartlein barrels, 8.25 twist is the magic number for the EOL 195.

Elkaholic, thanks for all the info, I think you've convinced me to get my barrel chambered in 280 Sherman. I just have 3 more questions:

-Since you have even less case taper than the AI and use 40 degree shoulders, do you have any issues with feeding from a magazine -even just occasionally?

-With the .312 neck length, what kind of accuracy are you getting with the Berger 180s?

-What length barrel were you using to get 3100 with the 180s? I'm planning on using this rifle for hunting primarily and don't want to lug a 30" heavy barrel around in the field :rolleyes:

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for sharing. Really excited about this build!

Zero feeding issues on my part, and I have heard of none from anyone else who have built Shermans. I have not shot the 180's, other than to chrono, in the LA Sherman, but I have shot them in the SA version (7SS) and they shoot great. I have shot some .3-.4"s at 1100 yards. The velocities I posted are with a 26" barrel. 3100' would be absolute max, but I feel 3050' should shoot all day long. Here is a pic of a small deer I shot with a 180 at 854 yards with the 7SS.
IMG_4112.jpg

Zero feeding issues on my part, and I have heard of none from anyone else who have built Shermans. I have not shot the 180's, other than to chrono, in the LA Sherman, but I have shot them in the SA version (7SS) and they shoot great. I have shot some .3-.4"s at 1100 yards. (3 shots) The velocities I posted are with a 26" barrel. 3100' would be absolute max, but I feel 3050' should shoot all day long. Here is a pic of a small deer I shot with a 180 at 854 yards with the 7SS.
View attachment 56402

Zero feeding issues on my part, and I have heard of none from anyone else who have built Shermans. I have not shot the 180's, other than to chrono, in the LA Sherman, but I have shot them in the SA version (7SS) and they shoot great. I have shot some .3-.4"s at 1100 yards. (3 shots) The velocities I posted are with a 26" barrel. 3100' would be absolute max, but I feel 3050' should shoot all day long. Here is a pic of a small deer I shot with a 180 at 854 yards with the 7SS.
View attachment 56402

Am I reading this right: .3 to .4 inch 3 shot groups at 1100 yards?? That's incredible! I'd be thrilled with .3 to .4 inch groups at 100 yards!

Am I reading this right: .3 to .4 inch 3 shot groups at 1100 yards?? That's incredible! I'd be thrilled with .3 to .4 inch groups at 100 yards!

.3-.4 MOA at 1100. The groups were in the 4" range. Not saying I can do that all the time, but the rifle/bullet combo was capable in the best shooting conditions. That said, it shot under moa in MOST conditions........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts