280 AI Retumbo

Butte Sink

Hello All
New to your forum and love all the info you guys are putting up.
I'm from Nor Cal, hunt a lot out of state, elk & deer and love to reload.
I have (3) rifles I load for-- 300 RUM, 280 AI and my sons 7MM Rem Mag.

I'm looking for some info for the suggested starting and max powder load using Retumbo for my
280 AI
Blue Mountain Precision
Bartlein 29 1/2" barrel with muzzle break
Nosler Brass
FED 215 GM Primers.

I have loaded a lot of H4831SC & RL22 and like what I'm getting. I would like to get a hold of some RL26, hearing good things but that seems impossible at this time.
I have good amount Retumbo and just wanted to see what I could get out of it..

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Hello All
New to your forum and love all the info you guys are putting up.
I'm from Nor Cal, hunt a lot out of state, elk & deer and love to reload.
I have (3) rifles I load for-- 300 RUM, 280 AI and my sons 7MM Rem Mag.

I'm looking for some info for the suggested starting and max powder load using Retumbo for my
280 AI
Blue Mountain Precision
Bartlein 29 1/2" barrel with muzzle break
Nosler Brass
FED 215 GM Primers.

I have loaded a lot of H4831SC & RL22 and like what I'm getting. I would like to get a hold of some RL26, hearing good things but that seems impossible at this time.
I have good amount Retumbo and just wanted to see what I could get out of it..

Any info would be great.

Thanks
For what bullet weight?

I thought I had some data on it in an old book but I was mistaken. Hodg website list 2 loads for 280ai for 168gr and 175gr bullets.

I prefer H1000 or RL23 in my .280AI.
I run a 160 TMK @ 2991fps w. H1000, or a 175 Berger Elite @ 2975 w. RL23. Both are temp stable, and very accurate and clean burning.

Btw, my 280ai likes rl 26. My new load is 60.5 grains with the 165 sierra gamechanger. Vel is 3010, from a hart 26 inch barrel. 3/8 groups @100.
Rl 23 shows a lot of promise, by what i'm hearing from the group.
As with all data work up slow.

I prefer H1000 or RL23 in my .280AI.
I run a 160 TMK @ 2991fps w. H1000, or a 175 Berger Elite @ 2975 w. RL23. Both are temp stable, and very accurate and clean burning.
What charge weight are you running with RL23 and the 175 Elite Hunters?

Btw, my 280ai likes rl 26. My new load is 60.5 grains with the 165 sierra gamechanger. Vel is 3010, from a hart 26 inch barrel. 3/8 groups @100.
Rl 23 shows a lot of promise, by what i'm hearing from the group.
As with all data work up slow.

Thanks
Yes I've heard nothing but good with the 23 & 26, wish i could find the 26, seems impossible to get right now but do plan to order the 23
I like the 160 AB and will put something together and try the 168 LRAB
I have a 300RUM that I like for the heavies It likes the Retumbo, as most 300 with 200 AB
I did just received some 210 VLD that I'm looking forward to put together this weekend
Here's something interesting
I did a latter test with the 280, RL22, 160 AB, Nosler Brass, 215GM primers and started a 1.5 below the Nosler max.
Right off the batt I noticed what seemed to be a heavy bolt lift. Went through 10 rounds each with .2gn increment, "Satterlee" method but each case looked great showing zero extractor marks and primers looked fine.
Wondering if it may had to do with the 215 primer? or possibly some lube in chamber?
Also all these rounds where done with a Ohaus beam scale "cent-o-gram" and not to confident with how those turned out.
Anyway now with A&D :) real happy with the results and did up a new batch and will give it another shot, crossing fingers
Side note, That same day I did same method with H4831SC, no issues at all?
Strange

It is right on the top end for my rifle. Another .7gr shows slight ejector marks. No heavier bolt lift, no primer signs though. Do NOT start anywhere near this load.

I worked up very slowly from 54.0gr.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.