280 AI, Redding type S bushing help!

stanley52

Ok so I got a set of reddings type S bushing dies for SAAMI 280 AI (I'm using nosler brass). I measured it right at the mouth and got .309, just a touch below that was .308, and it was the same for 2 cartridges (I'm measuring some of nosler's custom competition 150gr E-tip ammo). So should I just get a .307, .306, or both? What are you guys using? Thanks!

If you're using them in a hunting magazine fed gun, for hunting and run them though the magazine after firing the rifle during recoil. I like to subtract 0.002" or 0.003" from a loaded round so that during recoil the bullet wont ever move when fed from the magazine. I've owned a 280 AI for over a decade now and my loads have never moved and shoot 3/8" groups with various loads using 150 gr.-175 gr bullets.

If it's a single feed gun, then the 0.001" is what a lot of the bench rest guys seem to use. As the brass is fired it becomes thicker with each firing, so you may need to change to a larger size bushing later on depending on whether or not your brass lasts that long.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.