280 AI Question

stx

I'm currently having a 280 rechambered to 280AI(SAAMI) and will begin reloading for it in the next few weeks. I have everything I need to reload except for the modified case to fit my Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage and Bullet Comparator. Hornady doesn't make one and I can't find one anywhere else! My question is: since standard 280s will fit in 280ai chamber and I'm only measuring for seating depth, can I use a standard 280 modified case?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I make my own, check with local machine shop for 5/16-36 thread tap and have them make it.
or, I can do it for you if you send me 2 fire formed cases

I make my own, check with local machine shop for 5/16-36 thread tap and have them make it.
or, I can do it for you if you send me 2 fire formed cases

I have new Nosler brass I ordered.......do they have to be fire formed? I didn't think the ones I've ordered from Midway for other cartridges were fire formed but just new brass?

Thnx for your reply and help!

Thnx and I understand the value of that but I guess I'm wondering what would be the difference in the ones I've ordered from Midway?

Thanks Again!

Since it is a beltless cartridge, it headspaces off the shoulder. Factory new brass has to fit millions of chambers, so it is formed slightly smaller than SAAMI specs so it will universally fit everyone's gun. Beltless cartridges will need to be fire-formed to your individual chamber to get a precision headspace measurement from the cartridge base to either the ogive (which I recommend) or to the end of the bullet.

That being said, if your AI chamber is setup properly, you should be able to use a regular 280 Remington Hornady case gauge, since the neck/shoulder junction spacing should be the same. I use a regular .25-06, .30-06, and .300 Wby headspace gauges for my .25-06 AI, .30-06 AI, and .300 Ackley. So, I would say that you could probably get away with using a regular .280 Remington cartridge gauge.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...-gage-modified-case-280-remington-7mm-express

Since it is a beltless cartridge, it headspaces off the shoulder. Factory new brass has to fit millions of chambers, so it is formed slightly smaller than SAAMI specs so it will universally fit everyone's gun. Beltless cartridges will need to be fire-formed to your individual chamber to get a precision headspace measurement from the cartridge base to either the ogive (which I recommend) or to the end of the bullet.

That being said, if your AI chamber is setup properly, you should be able to use a regular 280 Remington Hornady case gauge, since the neck/shoulder junction spacing should be the same. I use a regular .25-06, .30-06, and .300 Wby headspace gauges for my .25-06 AI, .30-06 AI, and .300 Ackley. So, I would say that you could probably get away with using a regular .280 Remington cartridge gauge.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Modified Case 280 Remington

That's kinda what I thought and Hornady confirmed it, as well...so I ordered one today from Midway! I appreciate your reply. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.