280 AI and H4350 and H4895

JBDekes

hello All.

I'm looking to work up some 280 AI loads in the following powders. Please note, I have LARGE quantities of each, so its ideal to start with these. Ill list a few others but they may not be ideal.

The goal is 300 yd mule deer loads.

Bullets are the following:
Berger 168 HVLD
Berger 180 HVLD
Hornady 175 ELD-x

Powders in question are following. I question these 2 as it seems to me to be very odd the load density tables show a 70% fill yet other powders in same general range show an 85-90% fill.

Powders in question:
H4350
H4895
N560- adding this as I have 1 lb with ability to get plenty more from same lot at reasonable price.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

I cannot purchase RL powders in my area. I do have a little H4831SC to play with, but once loads worked up probably not find anymore for a few yrs the way its looking.

Thanks, Ill give that 4831 a shot

You will get very stable loads and good accuracy with H4831SC or H4831.
If you have a std. SAAMI chamber, you might not have seating capacity in the neck of the cartridge for 180 class bullets. Maybe the168 Vld and below would be reasonable. Check your load data and seat some and check your mag box for clearance.
I know my R700 custom with std SAAMI chamber restricts seating depth with the boat tail/bearing way below the brass neck/shoulder juntion with 145 Barnes Lrx, 143 Hammer Hunters and 168 SMK'S.
For 300 yard loads, anything smaller would still be plenty including flat base cup and core Spitzer bullets with impressive speed. You really don't need that much weight to begin with for this distance.

Hodgdon Powder Online Data lists reloading recipes for both of your powders. There may be better, more optimum, powders for this cartridge, but any port in a storm. I am sure that you will find a workable solution with your store of supplies.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I should have posted my chamber specs and the chamber is a follows- 175 ELD-X touches lands at COAL of 3.425" so a little longer than most standard chambers.

I just questioned the hodgdon numbers as it seems they are way off compared to others.

Looks like I'll order an 8#, thanks to Eric_F

If you cant find the RL 23 or 4831 the hybrid 100v works good in the 280AI as well as many other calibers might be worth a look and is normally available

You'll potentially get your highest velocities with the 175 ELD-X loading N560 followed by 4350 then 4895

If you get the RL23 it will fall in between the N560 and H4350.

Good luck, let us know.

With the copper mono's in 145 class and RE23 I'm getting 3100 and a preliminary ES of +/- 3. It's nowhere near pressure. Waiting on cooler weather to finalize the load with a 10 shot group for record.
Another 28AI shooter on this sight is in the 3200+ speeds but it's a little harder on brass. Both of us use a mag primer to get better ignition with RE23. With a 175 class I would believe around 2900 max with RE23, just from other guys on this site.

I don't own a .280 Ackley Improved, however I have done a lot of research on the cartridge due to wanting to build one for myself; and, I probably will build a .280AI or a 6.5-06 in the near future. I do however have a .270 Ackley Improved, the heaviest bullets that I shoot presently are the 150gr ABLRs; 1-10 twist barrel. I have to say that no matter what powder you settle upon, for a .280AI out to 300 yards (or beyond), just about any of the powders you have mentioned ought to work quite well to develop loads with. When I build a rifle usually, two are built at the same time (one for me and one for my son) on the same actions, with the same action work, by the same gunsmith in the same cartridge/caliber using the same components. From reloading different powders in different rifles in the same cartridge I have found that some rifles like different powders and the reloader has to find what that particular powder/bullet combination is for that particular rifle.

You want powders in the burn rate of H4831. Can you get N160? H4350 & 4895 are too fast. I'd go with N560 if that's your best option.
RL23 is just magic in this cartridge

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.