280 AI loads and Federal 215 Primers?

slas

Just got back from a long drive for some reloading supplies for my new/used Cooper 280 AI. Picked up some 168 Berger VLD hunting and some 160 Accubonds. I could have sworn that my research showed many loads using the Federal 215 primers, so I got a box. But it looks like it was the Federal 210's and I just had a senior moment when telling him what I needed.

So, my next question is, for those that load for the 280 AI, are any of your successful loads using the 215 primers? Or am I just stuck with them. I have large rifle primers I'll work loads up for also, but figured there might be some of you using a slower powder and the 215's successfully.

Last edited:
Work up to it like I did but I have been running 56 gr RL17 at .060" off the lands with a 160 gr Nosler Accubond. That is close to max and gets me 3015 fps with a Hart 26" tight necked barrel, extreme spread average about 15 fps and standard deviation about 5

Really stopped load development a few years ago and just go hunting with it

But I do use Fed215M's on almost everything, 6.5 rem mag, 280AI, 30-06, 338RUM & 375 Ruger. RL17 all but the 338RUM and even a 22-250 (210M's on that), phenomenal powder that doesn't need compression to get a lot of push. There may be newer ones on the market now but I'm as happy as a gopher in soft dirt with RL17 and Fed215M's

Last edited:
Fed 215's have a pretty big following and have been hard to find, so you are probably not "stuck with them".
But they work very well in my 280AI as do the cci 250's

Fed 215's have a pretty big following and have been hard to find, so you are probably not "stuck with them".
But they work very well in my 280AI as do the cci 250's
I figured since where I bought them is a pretty big supplier and they only had one box left. Another reason why I thought I was buying the "right" ones....

Slas I was using the 250cci primers out of the gun I sold you. Started out with the the lighter one think they were 200cci groups closed up a little when I changed to the 250's I don't think there would be much difference in the fed 215's I just purchased some to try in my 300 win. Reloader 23 seemed to be a good powder 58gr. I had it shooting the 168 vld's a little less than Moa but the classic hunters and nosler accubonds were special good luck with your load development looks like your having fun.

I am going to try exactly what wsq did. Going to try the 250 cci from the 200's. Have a few recipes at .600ish will try a bigger match under. Also have some R26 to try for the two bullets of promise.

215's are my "go to" primer for my AI. I find it works better for the slow burning powders. Currently I'm using 59.5 gr. RL23 in Norma brass with a 168 gr. Berger Classic Hunter. Out of a 26" tube it is running just over 3000 fps. The 280 AI is a sweetheart cartridge, you'll be happy you made your purchase. Good luck.

I'm shooting a 7 WSM which is close in case capacity. I use Fed 215s exclusively with good results.
It has been frequently stated that charge weights of less than 70gr don't need magnum primers unless you're using a difficult to ignite powder. And ..... some shooters seem to experience better results with non-mag primers in the mid size cases. However, when I tried the Fed 210s in several of my 7 WSM loads there was no improvement in group size so I went back to the 215s.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.